should i buy this car?

it's a 2005 toyota rav4. 66,000 miles (a little bit over the 12,000miles/year mark, but i think that's okay)

i took it for a test drive for about 10 minutes and it seemed fine. i'm a new driver and i felt very safe and comfortable. i like the fact that it's higher than a car, yet still easy to park.

they're asking $14,500, but will go down to $13,500. that price includes all new tires, an oil change, and new brakes.

thanks for your help :)

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In part the price depends where you are located.

In more rural areas, you may have to pay $1,500 to $4,000 more than in a metropolitan area for the same vehicle, as used Toyotas on non-metropolitan dealer lots disappear quickly, as Toyota's reputation for quality has become quite pervasive. By this standard, the 2005 Toyota RAV4 at $13,500 may be rather a steal, provided that it has been properly maintained.

The 66,000 miles is inconsequential (assuming proper maintainance and no abuse); Toyota vehicles are known for both reliability and durability.

The 2010 Auto Reliability GPA of the 4-cylinder Toyota RAV4 is 3.88 over a 10-year data history. In other words, in a letter grade, the 4-cylinder RAV4's reliability earns an A, for infrequency of reported serious problems.

For comparison, here are overall 2010 Auto Reliability GPAs for several brands, in descending order:

Honda: 3.67 (an A)

Toyota: 3.53 (a low A)

Acura: 3.38 (a B)

Subaru: 2.61 (a low B)

Hyundai: 2.54 (a low B)

Mazda: 2.28 (a C)

Ford: 2.17 (a C)

Volkswagen: 1.58 (a low C)

Chevrolet: 1.37 (a D)

Chrysler: 1.04 (a D)

Dodge: 0.97 (a D).

If you are satisfied with the condition of the vehicle, I would pay the $13,500.

• 10 years ago

The important thing is whether you like it and are comfortable with it. Too many people end up buying a car that they are not happy with, either because they want to look cool, or are pressured into something that is really not what they want. The price seems OK.

• RRR
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

$13,500 would be for a standard RAV4 in "Excellent" condition. I would try to talk them down to $12,500, due to the mileage.

• Huge
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Seems okay but check that it has a complete service history by Toyota approved garages if not be aware that it may not have been maintained correctly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

That is a great choice! Talk them down a little more 12,500-13000 for high millage and be sure to have a mechanic check it out.

• STEWIE
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

No, that's a terrible price.

Look for yourself:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?la...

• 10 years ago

yes

prior to paying please have everything in writing.

prior to paying please have the promise completed...tires, oil change (?filter?) and new brakes.

I assume all 4 wheels for brakes.

the rav4 is a good choice and with good maintenance should last well beyond 100,000 miles.

Source(s): pro
  • 10 years ago

Quite good, I think its cost should only $10500 only then it would be a worthy deal.

• 10 years ago

eh, its okay.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.