Help! Getting files back?

Well in order to enter my desktop I had to delete it cause it would not let me in. This is what I had to do http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aj6Lw... Now I want to get everything back, like pictures and whatnot. How do I do this?

Favorite Answer

You can often successfully recover deleted files from a PC, phone or camera memory card or USB Memory stick, it just depends on what’s happened since the files were deleted.

When you delete files the data itself isn’t deleted, just the index entry that says where the data for those files is located. The space containing the deleted files is also now marked as free space so it is available to the system for any new files to be written there instead.

If and when that happens, then it becomes too late to recover your deleted files so it is very, very important to not save any new files or data to the device concerned.

If the deleted files are on a memory card or USB memory stick, just don’t save any new files to it.

One of the easiest ways to see if you can recover deleted files is to try some file recovery software. Recommended asoftech recovery as it saved my life many times.

http://www.asoftech.com/apr/

• Marcus

Hmm....not going well for you is it?

Deleting a desktop? Now I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean you deleted the account? If you did...whoops, there goes everything. Getting software pertaining to file recovery once files have been deleted is a possibility however there is a chance you may not be able to get everything or indeed anything back. If you're going to use that sort of software, during the recovery process you'll need to have those recovered files written to an external hard drive or similar external data storage device in order to be able to get the highest possible chance of successful data recovery. Undeleting a file is not the same as system restore, and similarly, system restore is not the same as getting all your lost data back. Having answered your last question on the issue of desktops, I didn't tell you to delete your account or format your hard drive or indeed do a fresh install of your operating system. Doing any of those is likely to cause you significant loss of personal data, such as media files and games you've installed specific to a user account.

If you've deleted your account, you'll need to look at C:\Windows\Users and see if your deleted account named folder is still in there. It will be doubtful that it is, but I could be wrong. All the same don't put your hopes up.

If you formatted the hard drive, then you really have lost everything - similarly if you did a fresh installation of your OS then that too is pretty much going to wipe your data from the hard drive - hence it's a fresh installation.

There's not a great deal you can do once the account is deleted - and if you have deleted it, it could be difficult to retrieve missing data from that account - pretty much anything to do with it that happens to be personal data - once it's deleted. Try the software mentioned in the other answer - but there's no certainty in it's ability to do the job you'd hope it would.

Don't worry

Just use a data recovery tool, you can soon get back your files, but pleaes remember not to write new files on you computer before you finish the recovery.

Go and download one here: http://www.disk-utilities.com/data-recovery/#198

Good luck.