Journalism tips?

I need good journalism tips, please. This is going to be my first day as editor, and I'm also going to report sometimes and write media reviews. I need tips. By the way, it's a school newspaper. But I still want to do a good job.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Five steps:

1. Include your audience in the conversation. Ask for comments and print the comments (in paper and on line). Ask your readers to help you pick the big topics of the year. Ask them for ideas about what's right at your school and what needs to be changed. Follow up on their suggestions.

2. Speak truth to power. Find the decision makers. Ask them to explain their decisions, step by step. Go to the top. Ask detailed questions of the people in power about the operations of your school.

3. Uncover the news, don't cover it. Stay away from announcements. Find out things that most people don't know. (Example -- What percent of your school's graduates who go on to college take remedial math? remedial English? Is there a breakdown by which teachers they had in high school? if not, why not?)

4. Respect your staff. Be generous and public with praise. Criticize one on one, with the door closed.

5. Seek outside help. Bring in speakers from your local professional newsrooms. Ask experts to critique your paper. Tour your local paper or TV station.

Good luck.

Source(s): 30 years of journalism experience.
  • 1 decade ago

Get Started: Emergency Tips

Write a Catchy First Paragraph

Develop Your Characters

Choose a Point of View

Write Meaningful Dialogue

Use Setting and Context

Set up the Plot

Create Conflict and Tension

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/writing/creative/shortst...

Good Luck

• 3 years ago

in a established article shape which i'm uncertain is used all that plenty anymore the story is repeated thrice each time with slightly extra ingredient. as quickly as interior the headline. as quickly as interior the 1st paragraph. And in then interior of something of the object we've a cafe overview of a close-by ingesting corporation printed each Thursday in our nearby paper. The reviewer the two as a critic and a author is definitely incompetent however the headline author who i assume is somebody else is worse. a common headline: "super nutrition At Martha's Fish And Chips". Then for the 1st few paragraphs the reviewer will pass into super ingredient explaining he become at the back of schedule getting to the eating place because of the fact of an twist of destiny countless blocks away as though it have been the eating places fault. Then occurring to state the fish and chips fairly weren't that stable and complaining the cherry pie besides the undeniable fact that it become baked sparkling on a daily basis and purchasers could no longer get sufficient of it wasn't properly worth attempting because of the fact it become baked in Aunt Molly's commercial kitchen around the line and not on the premises. In different words this joker could rather have pie that become rancid and a month previous as long because it become "homestead made" or legally baked on the premises. by making use of ways between the the form to tell an incompetent eating place critic is that in the event that they get hung up in this element to something being homestead made. homestead made has no longer something to do with what ingredients went into it. the way it become made. And while it become made. purely the place it become made

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.