Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

If we're supposed to make a "joyful noise unto the Lord", why do angels have harps and not kazoos

• John C
    Favorite Answer

Maybe they do.

Because the painters who showed angels with harps considered that an appropriate instrument for angels. I think you can make a joyful noise to the Lord with any instrument, even (especially!) your own voice! It isn't the skill of the player that matters to God, it's the joy!

I did a word search on angel and harp and did not find those words used together. I did however, find this; Revelation 5:8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. Here I think the "beasts" should be better rendered creatures, and may be cheruibim, or angels. Revelation 14:2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps: Revelation 15:2 And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God. Revelation 18:22 And the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft he be, shall be found any more in thee; and the sound of a millstone shall be heard no more at all in thee; Evidently God chose harps over kazoos! ; ) Having said this, there is a verse which tells us that eye has not seen nor ear heard the things that God has prepared for those who love Him. This being the case a harp as we know it may well be altered to be an entirely different instrument in heaven.

maybe they do. Unless you can see an angel you really dont know what they look like or what they play. It is clear in the bible that you are to make a joyful noise unto the lord. that could be instumental or vocal.

Simple, we have no idea on how loud the heavenly instruments are. Therefore, let's not compare them with earthly instruments even if they may have the same names.

P.S. - The verse doesn't say to make noise, it says to make a "Joyful" noise unto the Lord.

You make a joyful noise to the Lord by giving Him your praise. You can do this with or without instruments.

Making a joyful noise is for the people that are musicaly challanged. It must be joyful wheather musicaly inclined or not because there is JOY IN THE LORD!

Bagpipes would be even louder than kazoos... Or even better how about an angelic Kazoo/bagpiper orchestra. That's something I'd like to see!

• Because the harp is a difficult instrument to play.

"Angels" are seldom the brightest bulbs in the Walmart bag.

Thank you, your question made me laugh out loud. I think God would be just as blessed by a kazoo band as anything else as long as the praise was sincere. Sometimes we christians take ourselves too seriously. Thank you for the laugh.

• zen

I have often wondered about this.

Why not accordions and fiddles?

A nice Zydeco band? Now THAT's joyful!

*********

What a STRANGE little cookie you are! :-)) Keep up the good work!