Why do people use dog breeders?

I've always wondered why people shell out the extra bucks for "purebred" dogs. There are so many puppies and dogs in shelters that desperately need homes, and if you adopt them young enough, they don't even have that anxiety (I'm thinking specifically of puppies). So even though there's... show more I've always wondered why people shell out the extra bucks for "purebred" dogs. There are so many puppies and dogs in shelters that desperately need homes, and if you adopt them young enough, they don't even have that anxiety (I'm thinking specifically of puppies). So even though there's an over-population problem with dogs, and millions are euthanized each year, why do people still insist of having a dog bred for them instead of adopting a needy dog?
Update: To Ladystang, and any others: Do looks really matter all that much when there are dogs being euthanized every day? It just seems a little shallow and uncaring is all. I just can't understand why ethically someone would go to a breeder in order to get a certain "look" when there are so many dogs that... show more To Ladystang, and any others: Do looks really matter all that much when there are dogs being euthanized every day? It just seems a little shallow and uncaring is all. I just can't understand why ethically someone would go to a breeder in order to get a certain "look" when there are so many dogs that need homes already.