Why is everything as is? Can I be guilt free of a self-destructing humanity?

The other day I was in the mall with my girlfriend, and I spent time observing people. I couldn't help but notice the narcissism in some people. Then, I started thinking to myself of how I used to be like that when I was younger. I, no longer, am like that and I view it as good. However, I once was that and... show more The other day I was in the mall with my girlfriend, and I spent time observing people. I couldn't help but notice the narcissism in some people. Then, I started thinking to myself of how I used to be like that when I was younger. I, no longer, am like that and I view it as good. However, I once was that and the majority of other people are like that. Arrogant, stupid, historically causing so much pain and suffering. Sometimes I highly hate humanity because it reveals such a low level of consciousness and stupidity. I would love it if it were more conscious of everything, but for some reason I'm not optimistic that it will ever reach that point. Instead, in my head, I see humanity on a downward spiral to self-destruction, due to the environment mostly, which would then in turn cause an anarchic state. Should I just focus on life as a big game and join the materialism, only to ignore the pain and suffering of all others? How can I rid myself of the guilt associated with being human? Sometimes I wish I could just disappear, with all of humanity, into a state of conscious and heavenly beauty. Lastly, do you think that humanity would be the same even if all the materialistic, ego-driven people were eliminated and only people of higher consciousness were on earth?

Please, give me your thoughts. The first two questions are more important than the last.
Update: By the way, I'd like it if people came here biased free. No answers like "Jesus died for your sins!" or "Just be with God". I'd like more of a spiritual and rational approach. Maybe if you could turn how I can apply one of those statements like "Jesus died for our sins" and make it persuasive enough, but I can... show more By the way, I'd like it if people came here biased free. No answers like "Jesus died for your sins!" or "Just be with God". I'd like more of a spiritual and rational approach. Maybe if you could turn how I can apply one of those statements like "Jesus died for our sins" and make it persuasive enough, but I can definitely see through statements with low quality content.