Fifties "poodle skirt" costume--advice needed.?

I am going to see Grease soon, and, being a dork, I am attempting to put together a fifties era costume on the cheap, and I have fourteen days to do it. I've got a pattern for a poodle skirt, but I have a few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 1. What are good "authentic" colors... show more I am going to see Grease soon, and, being a dork, I am attempting to put together a fifties era costume on the cheap, and I have fourteen days to do it. I've got a pattern for a poodle skirt, but I have a few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1. What are good "authentic" colors for poodle skirts? I really don't want pink, so I was thinking a pastel blue or purple.
2. I don't have time to make a petticoat, so what is a good fabric to give the skirt a full look without the petticoat? Felt has been suggested.
3. What kind of shirt should I look for to wear with the poodle skirt?
4. Is it humanly possible to find cheap (emphasis on the CHEAP) saddle oxfords? They don't need to be high quality. They just need to look decent.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.