Can someone with temporary protected status (TPS) travel to South Padre Island, Texas?

The reason I asked this question is when you come back from South Padre to Dallas there is a border patrol checkpoint and we have family members that have TPS from El Salvador and I needed to see if that is a problem, even though they are not leaving the country per say.

• Fred S
    Best Answer

TPS is a stay authorized by the government. A person who has been granted TPS is not unlawfully present in the U.S. A person who has proof of their TPS status can go through a dozen checkpoints every day, and nothing bad will happen. A Salvadorian who has been granted TPS can travel throughout the U.S., including South Padre Island.

Yes, they can travel there. I have a friend who went to Puerto Rico while under TPS status and came back with no problem. They did ask her, right before boarding the plane, to see her ID. She presented her work permit card (which was current and in good order) and then they let her go after examining it. So they might do something similar to them, if you go through a check point. They might ask their ID's but once they verify they are not expired and that they have not left the U.S., they should be ok.

• Ulises3 years agoReport

Yes u can go to puerto rico.I went to puerto rico 2 years ago without having any problem im a tps holder aswell

• Vivac

Your issue seems to deal with if they'd be deported or not:

1.TPS is a legal status in the US ...check

2.CBP is mainly out for ILLEGAL immigrants which they currently are not.....check

I fail to see the issue with traveling there since it is US territory,why would they be concerned about CBP unless they're wanted for a crime or something that renders them deportable ?

• jolley

Puerto Rico is a territory of the U.S., subsequently it quite is a factor of the u.S. once you shuttle there, you at the instant are not leaving the U.S. it quite is only like travelling to a diverse state. in case you're allowed to shuttle to different states, you would be allowed to shuttle to Puerto Rico.

I have no idea but if your unsure then maybe you shouldn't risk it. Your talking about Sarita checkpoint right?