Do ovarian reserve tests actually tell you anything? I wanna wait till I'm 33 to have babies?

I bought a fertell ovarian reserve test from boots (pretty pricey at £25) but I really wanna know if I can finish law school and qualify (another 3 years) work for 2 years and then still have babies. (I'll be 33 then, 27 now) or if I'll have run out of eggs then. My gran had her only child at 33, my mom had her last (my brother) at 30, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm actually kinda broody and wanna do it now, so any excuse will be welcome to start trying now and finish school later.

Has anyone here tried one of these tests?

Or heard negative/positive things about it?

Any thoughts/opinons much appreciated! xx

• Suze
    Favorite Answer

33 isn't particularly old to be starting a family although your fertility declines about 5% a year from the age of 25.

You might as well do the test and see what results come back. I think it will just give you an idea where you are in relation to the average. If you come back below average then you might still easily conceive at 33.

To be honest, I'd finish studying if I were you. I was half way through a degree when I had my son. My plan was to take a year out and go back to it, but I couldn't. It would have meant too much time apart from him and I just couldn't do it. It's hard to get back into it.

Whilst studying will be harder after you've had children, fertility does decrease from about your age onwards. You won't run out of eggs, but the chances of getting pregnant will decrease as you get older (having eggs doesn't necessarily mean you're fertile). The chances of birth defects and pregnancy complications also increase with increasing age. 33 is still young in age, but not really fertility wise.

Don't get me wrong, I am certainly NOT saying that you'll have any problems, but just be aware of your body and its capabilities.

As far as weighing up career vs. children, follow your heart. I chose to have my family while I can (because of endometriosis I would have struggled had I waited longer - I'm 28 and have just had my 1st) instead of chasing a career in medicine. Now I see how hard my friends have to study, and those who are already doctors have no life for themselves. Being a mum . . . I'm the one smiling =)

Source(s): I'm a medical scientist

Errr....i just had my first at 33. nothing wrong with my eggs and my periods are still coming regularly. I intend to have another in a couple of years. 33 is not old! Getting towards 40 i when you should start to worry!

I'm not sure you really need one of those tests. I'm 33 and about to have my first. My sister just had her 2nd at 35. People are continually haveing children later. I would finish school first. It';; be much harder to do post baby.

well one thing is certain, you will always be able to return to studying! But you will not always be fertile enough for children!

My sister put off having kids, it cost her lots of money in ivf and lots of anxiety ! Luckily her ivf worked! Not everyone is so lucky!