Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

What do you think of this quote from Obama's Ingratiation speech?

"Know that that your people will judge you by what you can build, not what you destroy."

Opinions?

Favorite Answer

I felt it was the right quote for our time, becasue it doesn't just mean what you can build that is tangible, but also that which isn't right away, like character, peace of mind, courage. A leader can truly build these things is his or her people.

I really liked this particular quote.

It's sort of the one which goes "a true show of strength is not the capacity to make wars but to prevent them"

It shows that we have to think and act positively.

I think its cool

Its saying about how we need to move forward not backwards, build and not destroy

Also its kinda about George Bush - how he destroyed many things but failed to build anything substantial

obviously referring to the wars. I think Obama is a peacemaker, and lets hope he can achieve this, for all our sakes!!

i think this quote was against terrorists who just like blow stuff up and those arab nations who like blowing stuff up. they try to earn respect that way but he is saying respect comes from helping your own people, not trying to kill your enemies and/or the West.