How can I possibly overcome my shyness?

I've been shy all of my life! Except really in 1st-4th grade since I had a best friend in each class. I would even get in trouble for talking sometimes. Now I am shy and I don't have any close friends. I do have a best friend, but I'm not close enough to her to be going over her house or her coming... show more I've been shy all of my life! Except really in 1st-4th grade since I had a best friend in each class. I would even get in trouble for talking sometimes. Now I am shy and I don't have any close friends. I do have a best friend, but I'm not close enough to her to be going over her house or her coming over. I hate being shy so much! I just really want to come out and break free! I really really want to just come out of my shell, but since I'm already known as the shy girl, I can't! Since a lot of people know I'm shy, no one wants to take the time to know me. I get a little less shy with people who do get to know me, like my best friend. How can I just break free? My shyness is killing me inside! I hate it so badly I just want to cry!
Update: The school year is almost over, so can I maybe just start all over in the 10th grade when there's new people in my classes? I really want to make new friends!