When somebody dies and is resurrected to heaven what form are they?

Are they spirit or are they flesh and bone?

If we open up a grave of a saint, or one who says they will be taken to heaven to be with God, what will we find? Will the casket have a body without the flesh and bones?

Many people claim that Jesus was raise to heaven physically because of Luke 24:39

International Standard Version (©2008)

Look at my hands and my feet, because it's really me. Touch me and look at me, because a ghost doesn't have flesh and bones as you see that I have."

But both Peter and Paul tell us that Jesus raised to a spirit body.

1 Peter 3:18

New International Version (NIV)

18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 15:45

New International Version (NIV)

45 So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.

The reason I ask is because the Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jesus was raised as a spirit and most of mainstream Christianity says that he was raise as flesh and bone. Jesus' resurrection is a symbol of how human resurrections will be like.

So, what is it?

Update:

Hi again Jazman

You really did not answer my question. I already know what the Witnesses teach in regards to this. What you said is not fully correct. Your words are meant to confuse and lead astray. I do not hold any of your words in regards to the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses to have any truth. So please keep your opinions to yourself with regards to Jehovah's Witnesses. I have plenty of people to ask.

I am asking what you believe the scriptures say. You say that Jesus was raised flesh and bone. You also say he ascended to heaven as an incorruptible spirit. So what is it?

Please use scriptures when you show me your point of view:

Did he transform from human to spirit?

Where did the human body go?

What about everybody else who is to go to heaven?

Will they be raised a spirit person or will they be raised as a human and then transformed into a spirit?

What about those people who was cremated or decomposed?

Does God raise them up in a new body or is it the same exact one th

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Greetings,

Some use Lk 24:37-39 as evidence for their belief that those resurrected to heaven take their physical bodies with them. They claim that Christ here rejected the Apostles' understanding that he was a spirit being.

However, all the explicit statements in Scripture asserting that the resurrected Christ has a spirit body argues against this. Contextually there is a better interpretation that does not cause a contradiction in God's Word:

When we examine Luke's use of the word "spirit" we find that he uses it to refer to "demons" five times and NEVER uses the word 'spirit' in reference to spirit *bodies* or to angels (Lk. 4:33; 8:29; 9:39, 42. All other uses refer to H.S. or an individual's disposition.) Therefore, according to Luke's normal usage, Jesus' reply had absolutely nothing to do with whether he had a spirit or fleshly body in heaven.

So, Christ was simply assuring them that he was not an evil spirit, which would explain the disciples' fright. Christ's reply ONLY shows that he materialized a fleshly body for the occasion to prove his resurrection (Acts 1:3 "positive proofs").

This can be the only logical and Scriptural conclusion when all the facts are examined.

Support for this conclusion is provided by Mat. 14:26 which shows that the disciples were afraid of what they thought was an "apparition," PHANTASMA. ("Ghost" some translations).

Since this verse has nothing to do with Christ's body in heaven any use of this verse as evidence that Christ has a spirit body is twisting the verse out of context.

Actually, every explicit Scripture absolutely confirms that Christ and those resurrected to heaven have invisible spirit bodies and not physical ones:

1.) 1 Pet. 3:18 says: "Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, that he might lead you to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit" (NRSV, NASV, ACV, WEB, NWT).

(Some translations mistranslate this as "by the Spirit" (KJV, NIV). These versions ignore the use of the dative in their translation. In the Greek text the words "flesh" and "spirit" are put in contrast to each other, and both are in the dative case, referring to the realm of "flesh" verses "spirit." It cannot be properly translated as instrumental "by the flesh/spirit.")

2.) 1 Cor. 15:45: "It is even so written: ‘The first man Adam became a living soul.' The last Adam [Jesus Christ] became a life-giving spirit." The context is also explicit that those resurrected to heaven have spirit bodies not fleshly (1Cor.15:35- 49; Cf. 2 Cor.5:1-4, 2Pet.1:13-14).

3.) 1 Cor. 15:50 " However, this I say, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God's kingdom, neither does corruption inherit incorruption" (Cf. Ac.13:34). Only spirit persons with spirit bodies can live in heaven.

4.) Heb. 1:3 Jesus is now "the exact representation of [God's] very being." God is a Spirit and has never been flesh.

5.) 1 Tim.6:16 says that he is one who "dwells in unapproachable light, whom not one of men has seen or can see." This clear statement of fact proves that human eyes will never literally see him again. He can be seen only in a figurative way, with "the eyes of the heart." (Eph 1:17,18)

6.) Jesus Christ gave his *flesh* as a ransom for us (Jn 6:51). Having given us his flesh, if he took it back again it would nullify his sacrifice.

7. Christ's ability to make himself manifest after his resurrection was a "grant" from God, not his natural appearance (Acts 10:40).

It is clear that the physical body seen by his followers was not the same body he had while on earth. While Jesus obviously could materialize a physical body, it is also evident that he could pass through walls and appear and disappear just like spirit angels (Jn.20:19).

The fact that when Jesus did appear his followers did not recognize him is further evidence that Jesus did not take his human body with him. They only realized it was him when they recognized some familiar word or manner (Mt.28:16,17; Lk.24:15,16,30,31; Jn.20:14-16; 21:6,7).

Just because they were able to see and feel Christ and he was able to eat does not demand the conclusion that he now exists in heaven with his physical body. No one would claim that the angels who visibly appeared exist as physical bodies in heaven.

Now, the above scriptures are strong evidence that Christ now has a spirit body. They consistently and explicitly contrast a body of flesh and a heavenly spirit body. Conversely there is no explicit Scripture that states he has a body of flesh, only some that could imply that if we didn't have the above.

"Corporeal visibility [of Christ] to men in the present life is a dream, altogether unsanctioned in the New Testament, and calculated from age to age to involve feeble believers in disappointment."— Glasgow; The Apocalypse, Translated and Expounded, p. 126. Edinburgh, 1872.

Yours,

BAR-ANERGES

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

There are a lot of misconceptions in modern day religion so we must pay close attention to what the bible has to say about any and all matters such as this. The bible is written like a puzzle and this must be kept in mind when trying to get to the truth. A part of the answer is found in Genesis 18:1-33 where God had a meeting with Abraham and they enjoyed a meal together. I personally believe that God manifested himself in physical form here to meet and have the meal. Christ as the son of man is described as having countenance shining brilliantly like the sun. (Revelation 1:12-16) We also know that his people will be resurrected to a beautiful spirit body like Christ has. (Philippians 3:20 We, however, are citizens of heaven, and we eagerly wait for our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, to come from heaven. Philippians 3:21 He will change our weak mortal bodies and make them like his own glorious body, using that power by which he is able to bring all things under his rule.) The bible also tells us quite specifically that our bodies will be changed from physical to eternal bodies. (1Corinthians 15:52 It will happen suddenly, quicker than the blink of an eye. At the sound of the last trumpet the dead will be raised. We will all be changed, so that we will never die again. 1Corinthians 15:53 Our dead and decaying bodies will be changed into bodies that won't die or decay. 1Corinthians 15:54 The bodies we now have are weak and can die. But they will be changed into bodies that are eternal. Then the Scriptures will come true, "Death has lost the battle!) When we look at all these scriptures it is apparent to me that Christ was most likely resurrected into an eternal spirit body but only manifested himself in a physical body in order to meet with and encourage his close followers.

Source(s): bible http://www.ucg.org/
  • hones
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

If you've a Bible to be had, the satisfactory description is within the Book of the Revelation. That one's convenient to discover: it is the final e-book within the Bible. I feel the location that talks approximately what Heaven appears like is bankruptcy 20 and 21. It tells approximately what we're going to see and the way worship is completed there and different matters like that. There are different references to Heaven given in the course of the New Testament. If you employ a concordance (published or on-line) you'll discover all of them and notice for your self. Rick Joyner has written a few books on a few visions he was once given approximately heaven and the top occasions and such. These maybe exciting studying for you.

• 9 years ago

We only know that we shall have a "glorified" body, which most of us believe will be spirit, having been freed from this poor physical environment. Yes, Jesus was raised with His physical form because He still He still had to appear to His followers and demonstrate His resurrection.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Matt 12:40-"for just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the sea monster, so shall the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Mark 16:6-"He is not here; behold, here is the place where they laid him."

Luke 24:3-they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus

Luke 24:39-"touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have"

John 2:19,21-Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days"...But the temple he had spoken of was his body [Gr. spoke about the shrine of the body of him].

John 20:27-Then He said to Thomas, "Reach here your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand, and put it into My side; and be not unbelieving, but believing."

Acts 2:27-"because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay [Gr. corruption; quote from Ps. 16:10]"

Acts 13:34-37-The fact that God raised him from the dead, never to decay, is stated in these words: "I will give you the holy and sure blessings promised to David." So it is stated elsewhere: "You will not let your Holy One see decay." For when David had served God's purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his fathers and he decayed [Gr. saw corruption]. But the one whom God raised from the dead did not see decay [Gr. did not see corruption].

Col 2:9-For in Him [Jesus] all the fulness of Deity dwells in bodily form

1 Ti 2:5-For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Rom 8:11-And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

Rom 8:23-We...groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body.

Phil 3:20-21-For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ; who will transform the body of our humble state [Gr. Christ, who will change the body of the humiliation of us] into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself.

John 20:26-Jesus came, the doors having been shut

1 Cor 15:44-it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body

1 Cor 15:52-we shall be changed

1 Cor 15:53-For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.

• 9 years ago

only 144,000 are going to heaven Revelation14:1 and I saw and look the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his father written on their foreheards.

only their spirit goes to heaven 1 corinthians15:50 however this I say brotherr that flesh and blood cannot inherit God's kingdom neither does corruption inherit incorruption

Source(s): jehovah witness
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

He Was Raised flesh and bone, as Jesus the Man, not Michael the Archangel, and "ascended" to the Father in an "incorruptible" form of the spirit, to rule as our King, since all power in heaven and earth had been conferred to him at that time by the father.

Jehovah's Witnesses teach His bones were "dissolved" in the tomb, by God, and that Michael the archangel assumed his body, like many angels through-out the Bible have.

They then teach that Jesus "appeared" in "different bodies" to different groups of disciples, and told them He was not a spirit, but by the teachings of JW's they would have you believe that He was just "convincing them" that His resurrection was truly Himself, but in reality, He is the spirit Michael the Archangel.......They have basically accused Jesus of lying to the disciples, and all of us, who placed their hope in His bodily resurrection, and triumphant ascension to His Father as our Lord and King.

Yes, Jesus' resurrection is more than a "symbol" of how we will resurrect. Jesus does not lie, nor does He need to. He is God's ONLY begotten Son, and was NEVER an Angel.

While some people may simply dismiss this question as inconsequential, Scripture says that Christ’s resurrection is essential for our eternal salvation. Paul declared, "If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation"(Rom. 10:9-10). Did God raise Jesus from the dead? Yes. In order to be saved from our sins, we must believe in this fundamental fact of the gospel (1 Cor. 15:1-11). If Christ did not literally rise from the dead, we are hopeless: "If Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins" (1 Cor. 15:17; cf. vv. 12-22). If Jesus’ body merely dissolved into gasses or if God simply "removed" His body to some unknown location on earth, we will perish in our sins!

Let us we willing to "exhort in sound doctrine" and "refute those who contradict" this sound doctrine concerning the resurrection of Christ Jesus (Titus 1:9). Let us not only believe that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, but also believe that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures (1 Cor. 15:3-4). This is the only faith that saves.

None of the teachings of our Lord Jesus' Resurrection are, by Jehovah's Witnesses "accurate", by all means, they are only the interpretations of corrupt and sinful men, claiming to have a direct connection with the "channel" of Jesus.

Without faith in Jesus's raised flesh and bone, (His Blood only was poured out for our sins and needed for the sacrifice") we are dead in our faith. Dead.

Elizando; No, Flesh and BLOOD cannot inherit God's Kingdom, But "ascended" flesh and Bone did.

Remember a man was raised to the 3rd heaven...I do not know if he was there in the flesh, or in the spirit . Also John:3-13 Moreover, no MAN has ascended into heaven but He that descended from heaven, the Son of Man.

Looks to me that Jesus ascended as a man...the only man to ever ascend to the heaven. Not a spirit, Not an angel...a man.

You invited me here Allan, your hospitality needs polishing, as it does not exist.

If there is a physical body, it is made "Incorruptible"

Jesus is not Michael.

Your rudeness here is as blatantly unChristian, as are your doctrines.

Source(s): The original Greek rendering here is "Made Alive BY the Spirit", it is not rendered "In" the spirit. 18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. I said "Made alive in an incorruptible "Form of the Spirit". Try to quote me correctly please?
  • MzDemc
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

I believe we are the spirit that was in our bodies

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

They ahve pwoers very much like the wonder twins. Any form they want

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.