Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

How do I describe a character's physical appearance?

I can do hair, eye color ect...but how do I describe a face and body overall?

• hobo
    Favorite Answer

Shape of the face, high cheek bones, big eyes, small eyes, oval eyes, dark eyes, deep-set eyes (meaning they're far back in the head), heavy brow, jutting jaw, under-bite, over-bite, broad lips, puckered lips, full lips, gummy smile, dimples, large nose, small nose, drooping nose, nose looks like a __________, goofy ears, small ears, elegant ears, ears that stick out, ears that are laid tightly against the head, attached ear lobe, detached ear lobe, clear complexion, pimply, scared, etc.

Body:

tall, lanky, bulbous (does it look like a bulb), bony, scrawny, soft, supple, superb, barrel shaped, short, muscular (or sinuous), hour-glass shaped, fit, flabby, chunky, slender, petite, strong, etc.

Hey please DON'T describe a character in one paragraph. Especially if this is the second paragraph of the whole story!

I like to slowly find out what a character looks like. A little hints here and there. One sentence would say something about dark hair, a few pages later comment on the color of the eyes.

And NO standing in front of a mirror and describing.

As for face and body: slim, skinny, fat, large, roundish, square-jaw, strong features, wide forehead, heart shaped face, fox shaped face, elegant brows, umm I can't think of anymore right now lol I have homework to do *sigh*

decide the place description suits ideal, and basically weave it in. each so often, it rather is organic for the character to basically outright describe her valuable factors suddenly, to ascertain a sturdy image for the reader, quite of attempting to "cleverly" do it right here and there. it rather is completely high-quality to outright say "My hair is brown, frizzy and unremarkable, to no longer point out I actual have crooked tooth thoroughly lined in braces. To authentic all of it off, my dermis is the two freckled and zits-ridden. the sole situation i admire approximately physique are my legs. no longer basically because of the fact they're lean and muscular, yet because of the fact i'm a runner, and my legs are the sole issues that I permit touch the exterior worldwide." Description is approximately portray a image, yet in addition approximately development a character. it is not virtually seems, it rather is approximately emotions. "Tossing her curly brown hair" would not say very plenty approximately character. it rather is basically an empty action. something like "tossing her curly brown hair to get all the boys to look at her" is extra valuable. wish this facilitates!

Face: Heart-shaped

You don't. It kills the story and usually ends up being an information dump.

use similes and metaphors, incongruity, etc. for ideas, read the canterbury tales prologue by geoffrey chaucer

Fat, grotesque, morbidly obese, disgusting, repugnant, repulsive, revolting; unimposing, unprepossessing, unimpressive; plain, unaesthetic, unbecoming, unshapely.... etc.

• poop

less is more. go for the little things that tell a lot. i.e. "breath that stank of cheap beer"

• AG

with words