why can you under cook beef and lamb but not pork?

• julz
    Best Answer

Cooking pork thoroughly used to be required because a lot of pigs raised for food were infected with Trichina, which is a parasite that causes a food-borne illness called trichinosis. Fortunately, due to changes in the way pork is raised, Trichina has been virtually eliminated from it and it is now as safe to undercook as beef or lamb.

Source(s): I am a food sanitation instructor.
  • Cheffy

Who says that? Well, the FDA does. They state that beef, lamb, and pork should be cooked to an internal temperature of 155F, which is way past well done. But we cook lamb chops and steak to rare temperatures all the time. Well, you can do the same with pork chops and pork loin too, but the people that don't realize that it's no less risky than a rare steak will send it back (most people). Fact is, there hasn't been a reported case of pork-related trichinosis in the U.S. since 1976. I always cook my pork chops and pork loin to medium and no one has ever gotten sick.

Source(s): Culinary grad, executive Chef, ServSafe certified
  • ?

Once again, Cheffy has it in clear.

The main reason that I don't under cook pork in the UK is because most of the pork here, even from butchers, is rubbish, and thus, if undercooked, comes out greasy and horrible.

My local butcher, who is an expert, imports pork from Germany. This is generally superb, and can be cooked rare with impunity. Eisbein, with sauerkraut, is a very tasty meal.

Source(s): C H E Foghorn

Undercooking pork used to be a problem because of the possibility of various diseases. In "modern" times in the U.S. though most pork available in the store is actually quite safe to eat cooked medium/medium rare. I eat my loin chops medium and have done so for the last 5 years or so and haven't gotten sick yet.

You can undercook pork. Modern cuts of pork lend themselves to this style of cooking.

Overcooked pork is tough and stringy while undercooked pork is succulent and tender.

Many people around the world eat rare or medium rare pork every day - just try it!

• pork contains a worn so has to be totally cooked. beef only has surface germs, same with lamb

Source(s): husband is a chef

I do hog roasts the old fashioned way over a wood fire,on most occasion's by the time i finish carving it is pretty late at night and i have had several shandies,nobody then seems to care wether it is cooked fully or no.so i don't think it seems to matter.

It is dangerous to under cook any meat, but pork can harbor parasites that are killed with sufficient heat.

You can under cook pork, until the internal temp. reaches 140 f it is considered undercooked.

People are still afraid of trichinosis. It was a problem centuries ago, but modern husbandry techniques make it unlikely these days. Still, why not err on the side of caution?