If a serious ill person refuses medical treatment, can this be seen as self destruction?

Some people's opinion is that refusing medical treatment when in a critical state, that this is a form of committing suicide. What do you think about it?
Update: May I ask you before you answer this question, that you read the answers that are already there. I believe that health/disease is an important topic and it's worth to find out more about it. It will be necessary to free ourselves, getting out of the dependency from established thinking patterns coming from the... show more May I ask you before you answer this question, that you read the answers that are already there. I believe that health/disease is an important topic and it's worth to find out more about it. It will be necessary to free ourselves, getting out of the dependency from established thinking patterns coming from the medical health system. That doesn't mean to through over board every thing, but we should have a critical attitude and what will be the most important: to take self-responsibility. Is this possible?