how to identify a gemstone,what are the main charecterstics of a gemstone?

how can one pick a gemstone

• lb2k
    Favorite Answer

Although there are exceptions, gemstones should theoretically be material* that is:

1. Beautiful

2. Rare

3. Durable

* Most gemstones are minerals, but there are some that are organic e.g. amber, pearl, ivory.

Fashion also plays an important influence. For instance, Tanzanite, while gorgeous, is NOT durable. It is soft and cleaves(breaks) easily. But it is a popular gemstone now because Tiffany's marketed it strongly in the 80s.

How can we identify gemstones? Gemologists usually identify gemstones by looking closely at the stone's physical and optical properties, e.g. color, hardness, brilliance, luster, inclusions, pleochroism, refractive index, heft/specific gravity etc. Advanced equipment such as infrared spectroscopy can also identify stones using chemical analyses.

How to pick a good gemstone? Well, unless you have had some sort of training in gemstone grading and appraisal, it would be difficult for you to differentiate gemstone quality just by reading up. The only way to be able to grade gemstones competently is by learning on the job from a trained practitioner or expert and by getting as much practical experience as possible or by getting a formal gem education.

As a rule of thumb, just remember that the market puts a premium on pure color, balanced tone, good cutting and appropriate clarity level for that type of stone.

Hope that helps!

Source(s): I LOVE gemstones and taught gemology for several years.
  • lundry

As a baby i imagine i will say I lined about all those thoughts . domicile replaced right into a sturdy position , in college I went via an abusive situation with the instructors and maximum of team , not in any respect truly did understand why . the college deal is a lengthy tale yet with that stated i will inform you that definite I actually have presented those thoughts into my adulthood yet used them to extra effectual me . by this i'm extra in song with each thing that is going on with my young ones in college and stay very a lot in touch and in all honesty if i did not have the college journey that I had ... i don't recognize if i must be doing to boot . sturdy success to you regularly Ju Ju .

The old professor says: Any stone can be a "gem" if it is pretty enough and attracts the aesthetic portion of our brains. Few "ugly" minerals make it into the gem category. It should be resistant enough to be used in jewelry, handled by trading, and not crumble easily with exposure to the "elements". Usually the way it "plays" with light is an important characteristic to consider.

Source(s): see my profile

Which gemstone?

There are 1,000 on the "A" chart and another 3,000 on the "B" chart of gemstones.

Post the one you are interested in and I'll tell you what to look for.