What would happen if someone stole money from their job?

My little brother is 17 years old and he works at our local Subway's. There was a box of money that has gone missing. The manager sent a text to his cellphone saying, "We need to seriously talk." My brother, or so the rest of the family think, didn't respond to her, and went out to skate instead. When we asked him what happened, he BLEW up right off the handle. We didn't even asked him in a nasty way or anything, just nicely and with genuine concern.

Now that I've witnessed how he reacted to that simple question, I'm half convinced that he (God forbid) he stole the money. I am wondering what would happen in terms of theft in a workplace by a minor? :(

• KMcG
    Favorite Answer

Well he would be fired and depending on the manger could go to jail.

• Phil

If they can prove it one of twp things will happen.

1. They will make him pay the money back and fire him

2. They will make a police report and he will probably be arrested and prosecuted. Depending on the amount it's petty theft or grand theft (a felony)

He might wish to find out if (1) is a possibility without admitting anything. If (2) he needs to shut his mouth and ask for a lawyer.

My guess is they can't prove it or they would not have wanted to talk...they want him to incriminate himself. Otherwise they'd have gone to (2).

Because he admitted that he took such a significant amount of money, he should definitely go to this "interview" with a lawyer. What will most likely happen is this: If he does not pay all the money back at a reasonable time, he will go to jail. His previous employers are pretty much pressing chargers/filing a complaint so this is on record, and so he has no choice but to pay them back or face jail time. They do this to assure the money is paid back.

If he is guilty, or there is reasonable suspicion he is guilty, he will be fired. The company may also press criminal charges. Depending on how much money is missing, it could be a misdemeanor or a felony.

He could be charged with theft...possibly embezzlement. The amount stolen will determine the Class of felony or misdemeanor.

the sam as if he stole anywhere