What would happen if someone stole money from their job?

My little brother is 17 years old and he works at our local Subway's. There was a box of money that has gone missing. The manager sent a text to his cellphone saying, "We need to seriously talk." My brother, or so the rest of the family think, didn't respond to her, and went out to skate instead.... show more My little brother is 17 years old and he works at our local Subway's. There was a box of money that has gone missing. The manager sent a text to his cellphone saying, "We need to seriously talk." My brother, or so the rest of the family think, didn't respond to her, and went out to skate instead. When we asked him what happened, he BLEW up right off the handle. We didn't even asked him in a nasty way or anything, just nicely and with genuine concern.

Now that I've witnessed how he reacted to that simple question, I'm half convinced that he (God forbid) he stole the money. I am wondering what would happen in terms of theft in a workplace by a minor? :(