In America, if white people aren't called European-Americans, why are black people called African-Americans?

I'm sincerely asking. I don't understand why "African-American" is deemed politically correct over "black." I thought the black power movement was huge and admirable in American culture, so I just don't understand the aversion to the term now. Isn't African-American offensive? I... show more I'm sincerely asking. I don't understand why "African-American" is deemed politically correct over "black." I thought the black power movement was huge and admirable in American culture, so I just don't understand the aversion to the term now. Isn't African-American offensive? I don't mean to come off ignorant or unsympathetic; it isn't intentional, truly. I really ponder the question, and would appreciate some insight into the matter.

Sometimes, I feel this constant obsession over political correctness causes more racism and discrimination in our society. We just keep creating more and more categories and sub-categories until we become totally alien to each other; no one can relate to another. :c

I'd love to hear some opinions. Thanks so much in advance.