Is it idolatry for a Jew to be a member of Scientology?

I happen to know someone who is a member of Scientology, an organization calling itself officially a "church". Now, we all know that that is only a term they use for tax reasons, but still, wouldn't that declaration alone make it a real transgression for an observant Jew to be a member?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Despite Scientologies claims to being compatable with Judaism- it is completely incompatable! Its beliefs are completely foreign to Judaism and a bit of research will show them to eventually deny the existence of G-d (look up OT 8 or OT VIII You should be able to find it online somewhere). Hubbard pretty much tried to deify himself in the religion while bilking as much money as he could from his followers- the end result is that scientology IS Idolatry for a jew and completely forbidden to a Jew. I am well aware that the early materials seek to disguise this fact, as well as being aware that they claim it is compatable with all religions- but do your research and you find a completely different story!

(Yes, I was one of the critics they tried to spam out of existence in the early 1990s in alt.religion.scientology whats funniest about the whole internet critics vs Scientology saga is that if the Church hadn't tried to shut down alt.religion.scientology and hadn't been so aggressive in their attacks on critics on the web, then the critic movement probably would have died and never bothered them. However, one of the doctrines taught by Hubbard was to "attack and never defend"- all they did was follow their deities words and ended up creatign a huge nightmare for themselves.)

Source(s): ex-scientologist, ex scientology critic (yes, those two frequnetly go together! LOL); www.xenu.net, www.xenutv.com
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

A man can not serve two masters. Jews have a special deal going on with G-d (unique among all the Nations, according to Torah); joining a cult would conflict with that.

I do not think it amounts to "Idolatry", but kind of has that flavor.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

A Jew can't exactly be a member of scientology and still be a jew... then they'd be a member of the "religion of scientology".

• 10 years ago

Yes, because the beliefs conflict quite egregiously. Especially if you buy into it all. I don't think they specifically use "God" as a term, but your belief system has to change in a way incompatible with Judaism.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

No, it's just incredibly stupid for anyone to be a member or Scientology.

• Kevin7
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Jews are only suppose to be members of Judaism

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Maybe he just wants to learn. He doesn't have to renounce his faith or change religion. Last I knew of you could join a church without actually practicing or believing. A lot of people go to church and don't listen or practice a word they hear. Maybe this person is just educating himself in a very direct way.

• 10 years ago

Not idolatry.

Still not allowed though.

• You are thinking of idiocy.

• 10 years ago

are you trying to say "adultery" or "idiotic" because those are two completely different things, and it doesn't sound like adultery is the right world to describe what you're asking.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.