PT asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 decade ago

What is the best personal finance book to give a high school graduate?

Visit my post at http://ptmoneyblog.com for the background on this question.

Favorite Answer

The Tobias book mentioned above would be a great starting book for anyone. About the only problem is that the examples and whatnot are now a little dated -- I really wish he'd update it again. Do at least get the '95 revised paperback.

Jason Kelley's The Neatest Little Guide to Personal Finance is pretty good too, and quite a bit more recent.

If he's a really bright kid I'd also give him something like Henry Hazlitt's "Economics in One Lesson" which should be even more dated (it's old) but isn't.

Please don't give him anything by that "Rich Dad" charlatan Kiyosaki, though. What a scammer!

• Doug M

My favorite is "The Millionaire Next Door". At least for Americans, there's just such a huge gap between what people think it is to be wealthy and what it actually *is* to be wealthy. Most kids want to spend every cent they earn; understanding at an early age how valuable it is to save -- and save correctly -- is the most important financial lesson they could learn.

Good luck,

Doug

I tried writing a book for recent graduates (more aimed at college graduates), but couldn't get it published.

I called it "So you're a grown-up now", subtitled "A clear concise guide to all those things they never taught you in college".

Rich Dad, Poor Dad

"The only investment guide you will ever need" by Andrew Tobias