Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

hey im 18 year old and joining the army. i studied every detail about the army, basic training, what to expect?

but i found an answer for everything but this: is the common age for people in boot camp around 18? or are most people older?

Favorite Answer

If you haven't already I highly recommend that you start training for the three events on the APFT, plus pull-ups. Also climbing rope if you have access to one, like at your high school.

You might find the attached interesting:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AkrA0...

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-fitn...

Source(s): Retired Army Master Sergeant.

It depends what time of year you go to basic training. During May, June, and July (the end of the school year) there tends to be a lot more of the younger 17-19 year olds because they go from high school to basic training. During the rest of the school year it is more likely to have the older crowd usually over 20.

When I went to basic training I think about 2/3 of my platoon was straight out of HS, and the rest had been through a few years of collage or more. The oldest person in my platoon was 33, but now the max age has been raised to 42. I went to basic training in August, so there were still a lot of young people (including myself) but the influx of younger people was winding down.

When I went through I was 18. The average age is about 20-25 because now the economy is forcing some older recruits to enlist.

Source(s): 10 yr vet., worked on recruit battalion staff.

yes but maybe a little older like 20 or 22 but there is a huge group of 18 year olds that sign up right after high school

id say the average age is around 21 or so. there ALOT of 18 year olds but there are also alot of people 25 or older...even a few 34 year olds.

In my basic training company, 95% of the people were between 17 & 21.

Almost everyone is early twenties or younger so you will be with people your age. Even if others are older, you will not really notice the age difference after the first couple of weeks. Everyone matures very quickly.

I was 27 went i went throgh and i was one of the elders. most are 18-22. Basic isnt really that hard but it is challangeing. Just do the right thing at all times and you will be golden.