Slave and free states in 1850?

How many slave states were there in 1850? Free states?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=slave+and+free+stat...

Does the Utah Territory and the New Mexico Territory count as slave states?

Update:

@frog07 23 what? I hope you don't think you are going to get best answer for that.

Update 2:

@Bruce Thank you so much! I guess I wasn't really paying attention.. haha whoops

Update 3:

@Tuffy Thanks! Your answer is really detailed and helpful!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • tuffy
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There were 15 slave states in 1850:

Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee,Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware.

Free States:

Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, California.

The Territories in 1850 were Oregon Territory, Missouri Territory (Indian Country) Minnesota Territory and an area designated as "Ceded by Mexico" all of which were free. This would include Utah Territory and New Mexico territory.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No, Utah Territory and New Mexico Territory were territories, not states, in 1850. Neither one became a state until after the Civil War. And now you can answer your other question by counting the states depicted on the map you referred to.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

15 slave states and 14 free states in the year 1846. sory im not sure about 1850's but 1846 is pretty close.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.