What kind of tree branches are safe to use as forks/skewers for campfire cooking?

I'm writing a blog on methods for cooking hot dogs, and I'm going to include campfire cooking. I know that while camping, we always whittled the ends of some sticks to use on a campfire, and I know that there are safe & unsafe types of wood to use in cooking hot dogs, marshmallows, or anything over the... show more I'm writing a blog on methods for cooking hot dogs, and I'm going to include campfire cooking. I know that while camping, we always whittled the ends of some sticks to use on a campfire, and I know that there are safe & unsafe types of wood to use in cooking hot dogs, marshmallows, or anything over the fire.

I understand that roasting forks can be easily obtained these days, but if someone were to "rough it" or go nostalgic, what kind of advice is there?

I've been looking for a definitive online guide to types of wood that are OK and not OK, and how to identify them... so far to no avail.

I'd appreciate any answers below, but I'd ultimately love a link to some sort of online guide.