METROPOLITAN OPERA QUIZ: do you think my question is worthy of submission?

For those of you who are not familiar with the Met.'s Opera Quiz: http://www.operainfo.org/int_submit.htm

Would you if you were me, submit the following question?

"Which composer whose age when he died, when added to the century year of his birth, equals that of his death?

To clarify: someone born in 1910 and died in 1940 would have died at age 30: (10)+(30)=1940.

What do you think? A waste of time? Do you know the name of this composer?

Alberich

@@@@

"Rrr": the only thing I can figure out, is that you are "missing something". I AM using the word "add", in a mathematical sense. ???????

"Rrr": am resolving this question in your favor, because your consternation is I've realized most valid. My apologies and with profound chagrin, admit I must have experienced a SENIOR MOMENT when forming the question: my glaring error was in defining the equations 2nd factor. Didn't realize this until after retiring, then waking-up and it came to me.

Will repost the question in a different format - and yes, century year ##'s refers to its last two digits.

• Rrr
    Favorite Answer

You should definitely rephrase your question. Unless I'm missing something, I assume you're using the word "add" in a non-mathematical sense. When taken with its usual meaning, almost every composer's year at death equals their year of birth plus their age at death (of course!).

Edit:

I guess what I'm missing is precisely what do you mean by "century year"? Do you mean the two last digits?

In any case, my confusion should suggest that your question and clarification aren't as clear as you might think.

Seems worthy enough of consideration, though it's more of a puzzle question than trivia or history.

The worst they can do is reject the question -- but you may never know why. How or even if they analyze the question.

... Of course if I were you, I'd have a follow on question for the MET and ask them if they'll ever put on "Die Hochzeit."

---

Edit: Rrr has a point, it will be true for any person who lives and dies in the "same century" (00 - 99, not 01-00), and not accounting for dying after their birthday in that year.)

Example: Marianna Auenbrugger: Born 1759 Died 1782, aged 23.

1759 + 23 = 1782 (59+23=82)

... well, okay, she was actually 24, one month and six days, so she doesn't really fit the formula.

... that and the whole mess in 1752 when eleven days (September 3 through 13) were hacked from the calendar to fix it.