Is a diamond a porous stone?

I bought jewelry cleaner that says it is safe on porous stones. Is a diamond a porous stone?

Update:

It says "This formula contains no butyls, phosphates, bleach or ammonia. It is safe for use on all porous stones, such as pearls, opals, coral, onyx, and turquoise." I bought it to clean my engagement ring but I don't want to ruin it.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • lb2k
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No, diamond isn't a porous stone. Your jewelry cleaner will be safe to use on it.

Take care though: diamonds are very hard but can break with a single well-placed blow. Rubies and sapphires are tough gems but even they can chip if hit sharply. Also, don't put just any gemstone in an ultrasonic cleaner. Diamonds and rubies and sapphires will be fine but many other gems may not be!

Diamonds, rubies and sapphires, and other single-crystal gems can be cleaned with a touch of ammonia in water to remove all films and add extra sparkle.

Opaque gemstones like lapis lazuli, turquoise, malachite, require special care. Never use an ultrasonic cleaner and never use ammonia or any chemical solution. These gem materials should just be wiped clean gently with a moist cloth. These gemstones can be porous and may absorb chemicals, even soap, and they may build up inside the stone and discolor it.

The reason why these materials need more care than transparent gemstones is that these materials are essentially rocks, not crystals of a single mineral. Think about it: when you put a rock in water, it absorbs the water and is moist all the way through. A single crystal gem like sapphire will not absorb water: all the molecules are lined up so tightly in the crystal that there is no room for water to enter.

Opals also require special care. Never use an ultrasonic, never use ammonia, and avoid heat and strong light which can dry out the water in opals.

Organic gems like pearls, coral, and amber should only be wiped clean with a moist cloth. Due to their organic nature, these gems are both soft and porous. Be careful about chemicals in hairspray, cosmetics, or perfume: they can, over time, damage pearls in particular.

To find out more about gemstones, head to The International Colored Gemstone Association website http://www.gemstone.org/. They have a large and comprehensive database on most colored stones available commercially.

Hope that helps!

Source(s): I LOVE gemstones and used to teach gemology.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • selden
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Porous Stone

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is a diamond a porous stone?

I bought jewelry cleaner that says it is safe on porous stones. Is a diamond a porous stone?

Source(s): diamond porous stone: https://shortly.im/agsm5
  • kymm r
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Diamonds have a hardness of 10 which is much higher than coral or pearls so if it is safe to use on that it is safe for a diamond, diamonds are hard enough to cut glass, so if it doesn't cut glass its not a real diamond.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.