I have severe shin pain with running, is this shin splints or something more serious like a stress fracture?

Last year in PE, I started to get shin pain while running. At first, it was nagging, dull pain, but it has progressed to very severe pain to the point where I am forced to stop running. Eventually I started getting pain even at rest, or after walking long distances or periods of time. I get severe sharp, stabbing... show more Last year in PE, I started to get shin pain while running. At first, it was nagging, dull pain, but it has progressed to very severe pain to the point where I am forced to stop running. Eventually I started getting pain even at rest, or after walking long distances or periods of time. I get severe sharp, stabbing pain, as well as redness and inflamation. On a couple different occasions, I also got a sharp, shooting pain down my leg while sitting, during the evening, and this was very, very painful, but subsides on it's own. I have not run long distances for several months, as it is summer and I am no longer in PE, but I still get pain with walking. Could this be a stress fracture, or just severe shin splints?