Why would my heat pump keep cutting off after 2 seconds?

Hi, We have an upstairs and downstairs unit. The upstairs unit is rarely used (mostly set to off) because we rarely use upstairs. I have recently encountered a problem with the upstairs unit and hoping to get some insight to it.

No matter what the thermostat is set on (heat or cool) it cuts on for about 2 seconds and immediately cuts itself off. We have the same thermostat upstairs and downstairs so we took the front off the one upstairs and took it downstairs and it appears to work correctly on the one downstairs.

Any insight as to what is going on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Favorite Answer

The unit is turning on for 2 seconds and then the unit is turning itself off two seconds later. This is indicative of a unit that is recognizing there is a problem and is shutting itself off to prevent any damage to the compressor.

In most cases when this sequence of events occurs, the low pressure safety switch is shutting the unit down due to a low pressure on the low side of the refrigerant system.

----This is mainly due to a loss of refrigerant----

I would recommend a HVAC professional diagnose the unit and if you do have a freon leak, having the leak repaired.

Source(s): 13+year HVAC Tech http://comfortclimateservice.com

The unit has an electric circuit board that is bad. These things cost anywhere from $35 to $75 and take about 15 minutes to install if you are handy. Could also be a bad contactor switch, but 80% chance it is the circuit board.

Source(s): I can repair heat pumps

You can show it to Heat Pumps Brisbane. They solve your problem as they are experts in heat pump...