Calculus Disc/washer/shell method.?

I have two problems that I have no idea how to work, and have the test coming up soon.

1) Sketch the region by the following curves and find the volume of the solid generated by revolving this region about the x-axis.

y=8sqrtx

y=8x^3

2) Sketch the region bounded by the following curves and find the volume of the solid generated by the revolving this region about the y-axis.

x=1/2y^3

x=4

y=0

I need to know why you picked the method you did, and the work shown associated with it. THANK YOU SO MUCH

Favorite Answer

Hello joey e,

I have posted full solutions to your questions using both the washer and shell methods at one of the math help forums I help to moderate so that I may provide you with an easy to read explanation using diagrams and LaTeX:

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f52/joey-es-question...

Best Regards,

Mark.