Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

What is the cure for teeth grinding?

I'm worried about my boyfriend. He has been grinding his teeth everytime he sleeps and now he is complaining that his jaw hurts. Is there any cure to this?

Favorite Answer

Your dentist can fit you with a mouth guard to protect your teeth during sleep.

If stress is causing you to grind your teeth, ask your doctor or dentist about options to reduce your stress. Attending stress counseling, starting an exercise program, seeing a physical therapist or obtaining a prescription for muscle relaxants are among some of the options that may be offered.

Other tips to stop teeth grinding include:

Avoid or cut back on foods and drinks that contain caffeine, such as colas, chocolate, and coffee.

Avoid alcohol. Grinding tends to intensify after alcohol consumption.

Do not chew on pencils or pens or anything that is not food. Avoid chewing gum as it allows your jaw muscles to get more used to clenching and makes you more likely to grind your teeth.

Train yourself not to clench or grind your teeth. If you notice that you clench or grind during the day, position the tip of your tongue between your teeth. This practice trains your jaw muscles to relax.

Relax your jaw muscles at night by holding a warm washcloth against your cheek in front of your earlobe.

Source(s): .........

Deal with the stress and especially anger in your life. Also you should have your dentist/doctor give you an TMJ screening to make sure that there isn't a larger issue. I have been a lifelong teeth grinder (bruxist). The only thing that seemed to help me with it was happiness and joy finally eroded whatever made me grind.

First, he needs a mouth guard. This will help with the wearing away of the tooth enamel when he grinds. Next, regulation and reduction of stress is important as well. Finally, see the doctor.

I am not a doctor but showing here Grandma's telling. If there are worms in the intestine, the sufferer will grind its teeth in sleep. You should get him examined for worms.If my gran was correct, he will be cured for ever.

theres a guard you can wear. nite guard or something like that. just a piece of plastic.