Why does society have a problem with periods, why do they view it as disgusting and sickening?

Periods in general seem to only be talked about amongst women, or women and their doctors. I don't mind that it's not really talked about, but the fact that people see it as horrid and despicable, laughable and gross, just pisses me off.

Best Answer

It's just one of those natural bodily occurrences that everyone knows about but it's not really an appropriate thing to talk about extensively.. For example, would you like to hear all about your best friends diarrhea episode in great detail? Me either. It's not horrible or disgusting, but I don't want to talk about it all the time either.

Because like anything else that is excreted from the body (mucus, urine, ect..) its seen with all the rest. Also because of the way in which our society was founded with women being second class and menstruation seen as extremely private to where they were not supposed to leave the house during that time. In addition to immaturity especially amongst young males, after they have wives or long time girl friends its not so funny but apart of their everyday life. The only way to change it is to change the views of our society which takes far too long to make a difference.

• Dave R

There are different circles within our society, and you get to pick which you exist within.

For instance, none of the guys I know have a problem with the whole menstrual process, --other than dealing with their gf's/wive's PMS mood swings. But that's different.

I do, however, find that I get squeamish when girls talk about birth pains. Makes parts of me I don't even have cry out in agony. I either clench up or have to leave the room. The girls seem to enjoy this, but it's all in fun. I have awesome friends!

because those people are ignorant and don't care that it is a natural occurence; but you can't blame people for not wanting to talk about it. Would you feel comfortable if someone was always talking about the blood coming out of their vagina's, even as a girl?

Maybe because it is such a private, personal thing.

It is our choice if we want to stick a tampon' up there', and it is our bathroom stuff. Plus, I doubt guys really enjoy visualizing blood flowing out of 'there'.

because most people are immature and its personal. if i went somewher and i saw two people talking about heir periods then it would be sickining. its like going to a bar seeing two guys talk about who they had sex with and explaining ever detail

It's because alot of people don't like the site of blood, and it's sort of embarrassing that girls have to go through pain and we don't. it's sort of a macho thing.

We've all been in there. I think people should lighten up too.

cause there imature about everything

it is a little gross i suppose.