Holly asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Severe food allergies?

I got my Yorkie when she was 2 years old. When I got her, her ears were inflamed and stinky, her muzzle was red and she was constantly itching and biting her skin. As a precaution I gave her revolution in case she had ear mites, fleas, or ticks. I took her to the vet and they said it was more than likely food allergies. They also found yeast and started her on steroids and an ear rinse and cream. This worked for the time she was taking the steroids and then stopped once her pills ran out. Not wanting her to stay on steroids I put her on an elimination diet. I started to feed her an elk and sweet potato food that I cooked with no other ingredients. She ate this for about two months with a lot of improvement to her muzzle and skin, her ears also got increasingly better.

While there were improvements, her itching and biting, irritated muzzle and ears never cleared all the way up. With her problems not cleared up I thought she might still have problems with yeast. So I put her on a low carb and low sugar diet. She now eats a raw diet of elk, jicama, celery, zucchini, parsley, green beans, kale, coconut oil, Udo’s 3-6-9 Oil, and Udo's Choice Pet Essentials. I made sure she gets 33% meat, 33% Fat, and the rest is carbs in the form of dietary fiber. There is a minute amount of sugars in this food. After this diet her conditions got better but never cleared up completely.

I noticed she itches and bites herself a lot after she goes on grass. So I started bathing her everyday with a homemade shampoo made of liquid castile soap, tea tree oil, oil of oregano, and clove oil. I then rinse her with a homemade water, vinegar and peppermint oil rinse. I also rinse rinse her ears once daily with a homemade witch hazel and tea tree oil rinse. Every time she comes in from outside I dip her feet with a homemade water, hydrogen peroxide and vinegar rinse. I started feeding her Inner-Eco Coconut Water Probiotic Kefir, oil of oregano, and Pau D’Arco to help with the yeast along with her raw food diet.

Since I have done all of these things she has improved remarkably but I am still not satisfied. She still itches and bites her skin, ears, and muzzle, though not as much as she did before. I don’t know what else to do and am tired of spending money at the vet for little to no information. I have got more information about her conditions from the internet than any vet. Anyone have any ideas about what else I could possibly do to help her stop itching?

• Cheryl
    Favorite Answer

i personally think you are going over the top with so many products and foods you are using on the dog ... with dogs that are allergic, less is better ... every single one of those products could contain something the dog is sensitive to ... and bathing daily and rinsing the ears daily, dipping her feet in some concoction, it is too much ... and if she is still itching obviously it is not working ... i would get a proper soothing shampoo and bath the dog once a week, at the same time clean the ears ... and if your dog is sensitive to grass pollens then when you bring the dog in all that is required is a damp cloth and a quick wipe of the paws and coat ... dipping the paws in hydrogen peroxide and vinegar, why would you even think that is okay ??? i would suggest you simplify what you are feeding this dog ... and did you know that dogs who have animal protein allergies do not do well on raw diet ... and dogs tend to be allergic to red meat which is what you are feeding ... i have a dog with severe allergies confirmed by allergy testing ... she was on antihistamines and steroids for ten years ... i did what you are doing, looked for the best to help my dog ... i tried raw and every kibble under the sun and nothing made much difference ... someone suggested to me natural balance sweet potato and fish limited ingredient diet which is also grain free and my dog is off all medication for the first time in 10 years ... i feed her kibble and canned for breakfast, kibble with a squish if wild salmon oil for lunch, and kibble and wild salmon for supper ... she never scratches, not one ear infection, not one eye infection, her coat is shiny and soft, and minimal shedding for the first time since she was a puppy (she is 12 now) ... i never would have bought natural balance in the past because i would not have considered it "good enough" but i have learned that what is good enough is what works ... i personally think your dog is ingesting too many things for an allergic dog and all the bathing and rinsing will contribute to itching ...

My bulldogge has allergies, I had him on a vet diet of a bland kibble to narrow down if it was a food allergy. Turns out it wasn't a food allergy. Then I noted when he would get the rash and do all the things you mentioned with scratching, etc.

Turns out he's allergic to grass.

I spoke to a few different vets about getting him tested, and after talking to all of them, only one was pushing for the testing. He was likely pushing for the fat bill I'd be paying though. The blood testing and allergy testing will only tell you that it's an allergic reaction. It might narrow down to a grass type allergy, but it won't tell you exactly which grass. It also depends on which season you are in. For me (Alberta, Canada) to get accurate testing, I would need to take him in about 5 or 6 times to narrow it down, and that still won't help me.

If this is a food allergy, then testing might be the best route, and simplify the diet. It sounds really complicated to me, personally.

Anyway, to cut this short now, we are seeing a vet dermatologist, definitely not cheap, but it seems to be helping. His diet stll didn't have to change much, and as usual, he told me not to wash him too much (it dries the skin out way too much). I have a spray I use on him to help coat his skin, and when he runs in the grass, I have to wipe him down with a clean wet cloth. That's it. Simple.

Check your area for a vet dermatologist though, they were the best help I found.

Edit - MUNCHKIN, which steroid antihistamines were you using? Just wondering if they were the little pink pills, and if you noticed any bad side affects with your dog?

Ugh...gotta love dogs with allergies! Good thing we love them!

• btdt

You believe she is allergic to grass yet you are giving her oils extracted from grasses. From the Udo's brochure: " It contains oils from fresh, certified organic flax, sesame, sunflower and evening primrose seeds as well as oils from rice and oat germ"

I would nix the Udo's and replace with fish oil.

Washing with soap will dry out her skin more than anything else. Dogs should not be bathed more than every two months or so. Let her natural oils remain on her skin.

• ?

Have her tested for allergies. Then, you will know what to avoid.