leezl asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

is the stimulus package a loan that we will repay next year?

• Dan H
    Best Answer

It's not a loan, at all. That would defeat the purpose of what the government is trying to accomplish. If you had to pay it back, people wouldn't spend it (I wouldn't, anyway).

The stimulus package is to put money in the hands of people that will spend it. When the money is spent, it is hoped that the sudden injection of money into the economy will spark more manufacturing jobs, which will lower unemployment, which will put more money in people's pockets which will result in even more spending, resulting in even more jobs... etc. etc. etc.

I hope this plan works! I, myself, have been unemployed for awhile.

Sorry guys, but to some it is a no interest loan. It will be taken back by the government next year when you file IF you have money coming back. If you don't have money coming back then it is free.

• geegee

It's not a loan- if you qualify, it's a rebate- a return of some tax monies, for you to spend, supposedly to stimulate the economy. Nothing gets repaid- it's a "freebie".

Lawrence is right on the money. If you could put it in the bank, do so. The way things are going with banking, there's no telling what will happen next.

Source(s): Retired bill collector 35 years.