Andi asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

any nice chicken marinades?

firstly i want to ask how do you marinade a chicken, feel stupid asking but i have never done this, do you put the raw chicken breasts in a bowl of your marinade and pop in the fridge for 24 hours covered?

also i wanted to ask for peoples favorite chicken breast marinades as i dont really know of many and im going to be making a dish with asparagus and new potatoes, thank you.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

CITRUS CHICKEN MARINADE

1/2 cup orange juice (juice of 1 orange)

1/2 cup lemon juice (juice of 2 lemons)

1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage or several leaves fresh, chopped

1 1/2 inch section fresh ginger, peeled, minced

1 tablespoon soy sauce

3 cloves garlic, minced

a few drops Tabasco or 1/4 teaspoon hot salt

Combine ingredients (a blender makes a good emulsion and eliminates the need to mince or chop).

Marinate cut chicken pieces in a Ziploc bag for several hours or overnight.

Broil or grill until chicken until done using your preferred cooking method.

OR

MARINADE FOR BARBECUE CHICKEN OR

TURKEY

1/2 c. dry vermouth

1/2 c. fresh orange juice

1/2 c. fresh lemon juice

1/2 c. fresh lime juice

5 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 c. yellow onion, minced

1/2 c. fresh parsley, minced

Mix all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well and marinate chicken or turkey for several hours or overnight. Keeps 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Makes 2 cups.

OR

LEMON PEPPER CHICKEN MARINADE

1 bottle Italian dressing

1 bottle honey dijon dressing

1 bottle balsamic vinaigrette

1-2 tsp. lemon pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Marinate 1-2lbs of chicken (overnight for best results) and grill

OR

CHICKEN MARINADE

1 c. salad oil

3/4 c. soy sauce

1/2 c. lemon juice

1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce

1/4 c. French's mustard

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. liquid smoke

Marinade boneless, skinless chicken breast several hours and put on grill (gas or charcoal) medium to low heat 3 to 4 minutes per side depending on thickness.

OR

SPICY MARINADE FOR FISH OR CHICKEN

This is an excellent marinade for fish or chicken. Put chicken or fish in a half hour to an hour before barbecuing. Works well with swordfish, fresh halibut or tuna.

1 c. Tamari or soy

1/2 c. lime-lemon juice

1/4 c. Miren sweet wine or sake

2 tbsp. garlic

2 tbsp. fresh ginger

3 tbsp. vegetable oil

Red pepper flakes (try a half tsp. to start, add more if you wish)

Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor

JM

• 4 years ago

Great Chicken Marinade Recipe Ingredients: 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves 1/3 cup olive oil 1/3 cup lemon juice 1 (.7 ounce) package Italian-style dressing mix Directions: Place the chicken breasts between sheets of waxed paper and pound until thin. Remove breasts and place into a large resealable plastic bag. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, and Italian-style seasoning. Pour mixture into the plastic bag containing the chicken. Seal the plastic bag and shake gently to ensure that all the chicken is in contact with the marinade. Refrigerate marinated chicken pieces overnight or up to two days. When ready to cook, preheat grill and lightly oil grate. Place chicken breasts on the grill and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes per side. 6 servings Prep Time: 5 Minutes Cook Time: 10 Minutes Ready In: 8 Hours 15 Minutes Servings: 6

• 1 decade ago

Basically you have the right idea.

Different cuts of meat/poultry/fish will take different times to marinate though.

"Light" proteins like white fish and white meat poultry like breasts can be marinated in an hour (or longer) and fish shouldn't be marinated longer because it will be "cooked" by the acid in the marinade.

"Heavier" proteins like beef, pork and dark meat poultry (thighs, legs) can be marinated up to 24 hrs.

Generally, the marinading is done in the frig, but for items which will be cooked fairly quickly it can be good for them to come to room temp anyway so marinading could also then be done at room temp.

Some people like to marinate in a ziptop bag/etc too instead of a bowl for easier clean up and so that the whole thing can be flipped during marinading, etc. (Some people also like to poke slits in their items to be marinated to allow the liquid to get farther into them, but not necessary).

Marinades are tradionally made up of:

1) an acid of any kind-- could be vinegars, wines** or other alcohols, citrus juices, yogurt, etc (these begin to break down the food to make it more tender)

2) plus usually an oil of any kind --oils carry the flavors into the food better and also provide a "coating"

3) and optionally: other kinds of flavorings can be used --garlic, onion, mustard, honey, soy sauce, spices, herbs, or basically *anything* at all can be in this category

NOTES:

...Playing with all those combinations is half the fun of marinading! You can also create a Mexican, New Orleans, Indian, French, Middle Eastern, or Asian, etc, dish simply by using an oil, acid, and flavorings that are commonly used by that particular country or region.

...Usually, but not always, the proportion of oil to acid is 1/3 acid to 2/3 oil, but some people use less oil (perhaps 1/2 acid to 1/2 oil) if they're concerned about it or want a stronger flavor... too much acid for too long (especially for light proteins) isn't good though.

...Since raw meat/poultry was sitting in the marinade, it's not safe to eat later unless you cook it with the meat/poultry, or you boil it separately for 2-3 min (makes a great sauce).

...Marinating has been shown to cut way down on the "bad stuff" that can result from grilling or other high temperatures (created on the food or in the smoke created if grilling which then gets on the food).

"cooking wines" from the grocery store are just poor quality wines which have had salt added... better to add your own salt to a marinade and use any kind of wine/alcohol you want ("white vermouth" can be kept in the cupboard indefinitely and used as a substitute for white wine if you can't keep wines around in the tiny or regular bottles, and "boxes" of wine keep a long time too)

As for chicken breasts, a quickie favorite of mine is just bottled Italian dressing, especially the slightly sharper ones.

Here are many more common marinades for chicken though:

http://www.google.com/search?q=recipe+marinade+chi...

And check out these links for loads more on the whole topic of how to marinade, plus recipes:

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+marinade

HTH, and have fun!

Diane B.

• 1 decade ago

i usually use ziploc bags to marinade, makes cleanup easier but you have the right idea. a marinade can be anything you like. I have to marinades i use. one is limited and the other is very easy to use for ANYTHING.(btw chicken marinades usually do well on pork, mine do)

mojo. aka spanish bar b q sauce. very tasty (garlic lime onions ect) it it sold by the condiment section in most supermarkets (by the lawry marinades... not lawry's) experinment with different brands, although more or less the same concept they all taste differently.

and my fail proof, works for any type of chicken i want to make, wether it;s fried chicken chicken parmasian, chicken and rice, chicken fricasse... the list goes on is

cooking wine (vino seco)

salt pepper and BAY LEAVES

if u use the whole leaves remove them before cooking. (there is powder bay leaves but i choose not to use it.)

the salt and pepper is to your liking (remember cooking wine has some salt,,, and salt seeps in the longer it marinates for so if your planning on leaving ckn for 3 days go lighter on the salt than if your cooking it on the spot.). for 3 ckn breast i usually use bout 6 bay leaves...(the flavor is very subtle but wow!)

try different things to find your liking. you can never go wrong with a bunch of different sauces from the supermarket.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I like to use Honey and Teriyaki.

Place the breasts and marinade in a zip-lock bag and squish it all together and do that a few times over the period.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.