What are the main differences between man made sapphires and natural ones?

I am looking into getting a loose sapphire gemstone - round cut and about 1 to 1.5 carats. It is more important to me to get the size and COLOR I want than the prestige of it being "natural." I don't have a large budget for the stone (only a couple hundred dollars at most), which is the main reason... show more I am looking into getting a loose sapphire gemstone - round cut and about 1 to 1.5 carats. It is more important to me to get the size and COLOR I want than the prestige of it being "natural." I don't have a large budget for the stone (only a couple hundred dollars at most), which is the main reason why I can't just go out and buy a dark blue natural sapphire. My question is what are the major differences between natural and man made sapphires (besides price) - what are the pros and cons of both. I am worried about one being more breakable than the other or less scratch resistant or something. Also, does anyone know if some good websites for sapphires? I have a large list of web sites that sell natural ones, but I haven't found any web sites that sell man made ones (are man made sapphires called something special? - and please don't be a smartass and say "colored crystal" or "cubic zirconium".

Thank you!
Update: I meant zirconia, sorry - typo durring the spell check
Update 2: Or would a man made/lab sapphire just be a simple cubic zirconia???