Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 10 years ago

How many miles is "too many" to purchase a vehicle?

We're looking for a dependable spare car. We will be paying cash and financing is NOT an option becuase I don't want payments. I was looking in the 4,000- 4,500 dollar range and want a 4 door sedan. What kind of car should i look for in my price range and should I stay under a certain mileage? I want this to be a car that will last and it will be driven less than 10K per year.

What should I look for in a good car? My husband can barely change oil so he will be no help...lol!

I live near Atlanta and I'm not looking for a "big hooptie on 26's"

Favorite Answer

If you purchase a Toyota Motor Corp. vehicle (Lexus, Toyota, or Scion), I would stay under 350,000 miles.

If you purchase a Honda Motor Co. vehicle (Acura or Honda), I would stay under 250,000 miles.

If you purchase a General Motors vehicle (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, or Saturn), I would stay under 60,000 miles.

One word of caution - whatever vehicle you consider, make sure that it has been properly maintained.

Some good prospects are:

A 2002 or earlier Toyota Echo (the Echo has a 2009 Car Reliability GPA of a perfect 4.00 (on the standard scale of 0.00 to 4.00) over a 6-year history),

A 2002 or earlier Toyota Corolla (the Corolla has a 2010 Car Reliability GPA of a perfect 3.81 over a 10-year history),

A 2000 or earlier 4-cylinder Toyota Camry (the 4-cylinder Camry has a 2010 Car Reliability GPA of a perfect 3.69 over a 10-year history),

A 1999 or earlier 4-cylinder Honda Accord (the 4-cylinder Accord has a 2010 Car Reliability GPA of a perfect 3.81 over a 10-year history),

A 1999 or earlier Honda Civic Sedan (the Civic Sedan has a 2010 Car Reliability GPA of a perfect 3.75 over a 10-year history),

A 1999 Honda CR-V (the CR-V has a 2010 Car Reliability GPA of a perfect 3.63 over a 10-year history).

If you live outside a major metropolitan area, you may have to pay $1,500 to $4,000 more for the same Toyota or Honda, as their reputation for quality is now widespread

At your price range, depending of course on where you live, I'd be looking for something under 130K miles. A good rule of thumb is to check old the car is in years multiply it by 15,000. Anything over this has probably been driven quite a bit and may have excessive wear. For example, I bought my '93 Toyota Tercel which had 131k miles on it last year. At that time it was 16 years old, so that's 240,000 miles, which put it well under range.

Also, consider brand when purchasing. Honda and Toyota have excellent records for older cars that last forever.

I dont really think that there is too many miles on a vehicle. i like to go buy how it runs. But i would have a cut off point of 150,000 to 200,000