Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

Why does shampoo become less effective with use?

Almost all shampoo seems to become less effective for me over time. I have heard theories that this is because of the scalp fighting the chemicals (?!), or because of a gradual build-up of the shampoo in your hair. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Probably because of a build-up of the shampoo. Your scalp doesn't 'fight' or 'become immune to' the chemicals in the shampoo - your hair, or at least the part of it that's outside your head, is dead. Plus, your body won't be fighting off or becoming immune to the shampoo unless it somehow thought the shampoo was a threat, and even then the likely result would be an allergic reaction to it. So, in order to avoid the build-up of the shampoo, just switch shampoo and conditioners frequently. When you're done with a bottle of one brand, find a bottle of a different brand, and sort of rotate through them.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

that's actual. in case you utilize an identical type of shampoo/conditioner for an prolonged quantity of time it starts to construct up on your hair, leaving it much less shiny and workable. you do no longer might desire to alter type however. Shampooing with a clarifying shampoo as quickly as each week will get rid of any gathered residue.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's just your hair is immune to the chemicals.

If you take 2 paracetmol a day. Eventually they will beocome less effective because your body is becoming immune to them, it's the same thing with shampoo.

• 3sa
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

its called build up

i never stick with the same shampoo all the time

i switch off within a few that i like and trust.

no build up

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it's because your hair gets too used to the same shampoo and becomes resistant to it. so it stops working and does nothing for your hair

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

its from both, your scalp resisting and build up or residue in your hair.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.