m- j asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

how can i get over my stress?

I have to take one English exam to be quilified in my career, i did it once and my score was just a little below the required score.The night before the exam i didn't sleep at all because of stress, i literally was dieing ( vomitting, increased heart beats, shaking body.....)

now i cant even think about it, while i have to take it again.please help me , how can i cure this silly stress?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It may not be possible to remove the stress from your life, however managing your stress may help you to get things done. Below are some ideas for managing stress:

Go for a Walk or Run- Exercising can be a good way of relieving stress. It helps to get rid of all that pent up energy and can leave you feeling much calmer. Any sort of exercise can be good. You may want to go and kick a footy with friends or head to the gym.

Hang Out with Friends - If you are feeling stressed you may need to take your mind off things for a while. Hanging out with friends is one way of doing that. It may be that similar things that stress you out, also stress your friends out, and so talking about your problems with them may be helpful.

Taking Some Deep Breaths - Deep breathing can help to relax the body and hence calm you down. Taking deep breaths before an exam, game, job interview or before going on stage may help to calm you down and focus on what it is you are about to do.

Setting Realistic Goals - Becoming over-stressed may make it harder to keep things in perspective. Setting realistic goals (both for the short-term and long-term) and priorities and time management may be useful ways of managing your stress. You may want to check out the fact sheet on Stress at Exam Time, Time Management and Setting Goals for more information.

Have Multiple Options to Achieve your Goals - There is never just one way to achieve something. It's important not to put all your eggs into one basket - investigate and plan other ways to get to where you want to go, whether it's a uni degree, job, or holiday vacation.

Try to Avoid Smoking, Alcohol, and Caffeine - It may be tempting to use smoking and alcohol as a means of managing your stress. Try to avoid using these things as a way of coping, as in the long run they may make you more stressed out.

Watch What You're Thinking - Your outlook, attitude, and thoughts influence the way you see things. Is your cup half full or half empty? A healthy dose of optimism can help you make the best out of stressful circumstances. Even if you're out of practice, or tend to be a bit of a pessimist, everyone can learn to think more optimistically and reap the benefits.

Speaking to Someone - If you are finding you are always stressed and it is hard to carry on with day to day stuff, it may be helpful to talk to someone about it. Parents, teachers, a school counsellor or youth worker are people that may be able to help you cope.

Exam Stress-Busting Advice

Before your exams 1. Don‘t Panic. Avoid panic. Exam nerves are natural but panicking will only make things worse and you may not be able to think clearly. 2. Stay positive.Believe in yourself. If you prepare for your exams properly you should do fine. Your teachers have worked hard to make sure you have studied everything you need to for the exam. They believe you can do it and so should you. If you believe you can do it, then you can. 3. Don't bottle things up. If the exams are making you feel worried or depressed, talk to your friends, your parents/guardians or your teachers. Don‘t bottle things up. You‘re not the only one to feel worried about exams - we‘ve all been there. Remember, everyone reacts in different ways to exams. 4. Keep things in perspective. Exams might seem like the most important thing you have to focus on right now, but they are only a small part of your life. There are thousands of successful people who didn‘t do as well as they wanted in their exams. It‘s great to do well but remember that you can only do your best and that is what your teachers and your parents/guardians ask of you. 5.Plan.Timetables and study plans You should know when your exams will be so work out a plan or timetable for study.If you don‘t know when the exams are, speak to your teachers or your examinations officer. Make sure you leave plenty of time to revise so that you don't have to cram at the last minute. If you plan you will become more confident and will be better prepared foryour exams so you should also be more relaxed. Include some flexibility in your plan in case something happens and you fall behind your timetable/schedule.Use your plan or timetable to monitor your progress. If you fall behind on your plan ortimetable, work out how to get back on track. Avoid falling behind further as you maybecome more stressed and anxious. Set yourself some realistic goals at each studyperiod eg to cover a particular topic

On the morning of an exam, make sure you eat breakfast. Go for something like wholegrain cereals eg bran, egg, toast which are slow energy burners.

Taking several long, slow, deep breaths will help to calm you down and help you feelmore relaxed. Tell yourself that you are calm and that you will do well. Remember œ positive thinking!2.Reading instructions and questions.Make sure you read each question carefully and listen to instructions given by the invigilators. Read the front of the exam paper which has important information on what

Good luck !

• 1 decade ago

You have to work at it not being this great, hairy, demon in your mind. In the early days of NLP, Richard Bandler and his colleagues were working at identifying the habits of the best Marksmen for the military.

One of the main attributes they found was that the best, didn't put so much pressure on themselves. The poorer Shooters thought every shot had to be the best.

In the same way, you have to come up with reasons why this exam is not the be all and end all in your life. Other options that you can take, alternative plans if you don't get the grade you need.

Imagine someone else came to you in your situation, what would you say to them? You have to detach yourself from the need for the event to turn out in a certain way.

That way you'll reduce the pressure and relax and be able to perform.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Stress, oh I don't like stress!! Relax, I know it is difficult but tell yourself "I will do fine, just relax". If that doesn't work, try meditating, yoga, so on.. Listen to music can help too.

You could try to burn out your energy so much that either way you'll sleep :P.

Hope I helped :)!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.