My cat that wakes me up every morning by biting my face and hair and I can't stop him. Why does he do this??

I've tried spraying him with water, which he normally hates, but in the morning when he is biting me water does not phase him. Or, he jumps off the bed, waits until I go back to sleep, and creeps up on the bed again! I've had him for a year, he's 2 years old. What's crazy is the entire time he's... show more I've tried spraying him with water, which he normally hates, but in the morning when he is biting me water does not phase him. Or, he jumps off the bed, waits until I go back to sleep, and creeps up on the bed again! I've had him for a year, he's 2 years old. What's crazy is the entire time he's doing this, he's purring! I am ASLEEP every morning so I have done nothing to instigate this behavior, but I need advice on how to make him quit. The vet initially said it could be the scent of other cats outside that is making him aggressive, but I have moved twice and he still does this. Please help!