How do I re-wire a house without replacing the drywall?

My house was built in 1951. I have no ground wire in many places. How would I replace the wire without breaking through the drywall? Is it even possible?

Favorite Answer

In many cases you can fish a new cable up to any ground floor outlets if your basement is still open. You won't be able to remove old wiring because it will be fastened to the studs in many places deep inside of the walls.

Fishing up from the basement will work in most single story bungalows, but if there is a 2nd story, then find a route to fish from the basement to the attic. If you can't find an open channel in the walls, then create a wire channel through interconnecting closets up to the attic, & then fish down from the attic to outlets, switches, & ceiling fixtures.

Home Depot, & many electrical suppliers have many of the specialty tools for fishing wires in walls that you will need. You will have to develop the expertise on your own.

I suggest you learn as much as you can about the techniques & tools you will need to do the job right if you plan to do it yourself. You may find that by the time you have gotten yourself all of the tools (fishes, extension drill bits etc) you could have paid an electrician to bring in his own tools & do the work for you.

So it's entirely possible for sure, but it requires a certain amount of skill, & some rather expensive tools.

Source(s): 35 years experience in residential wiring.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): wire house replacing drywall: https://tr.im/e9zvV
  • ansby

How To Wire A House

(if you've taken out a permit and have a specific circuit in mind..) Is home 1 story with attic access? Are walls really drywall (or plastered) Are walls insulated? If you can get above every receptacle box in attic, you can use existing hole or drill top plate (dbl flat 2x4) with a 3/4 bit and fish down to each box. Install a new metal junction box in attic, supplied by new 12/2 romex from panel. If you make a small hole 8" above receptacle box in house, you can pull out staple from stud and cut old wire out of box. Sometimes you can even see down to box from attic (if no insulation, and after pulling old wire up and out). This all takes lots of time, but it'll keep you slim!

I'd be careful with what dgr0919 suggests this is not acceptable practice using the older style casing of MC-MX cable as a ground. It is a potential hazard, not allowed by the electricians code in almost all areas and would void your home owners insurance. It is entirely possible to do what it is your trying to do some circuits/outlets will surely be easier than others. If you require a ground for surge protection on higher end electronics/ TV's/Computers some codes allow to run a seperate ground wire for that purpose. CHECK YOUR LOCAL CODES-ALWAYS!

• ?

I've rewired alot of houses and what I used to do is tie my new wire to the wire within the plug and then pull it up or down. You'll know if they are stapled when you do the first one.

The ones that could be a problem are the ones running around the room to several plugs, but I have noticed older houses generally aren't wired like that. All the wiring usually goes up or down then to the next plug.

Source(s): Journeyman Electrician 22 Years

Most homes built around that time (depending on where you live of course) have the electrical wires running through flexible tubing. If that's the case in your home, you can just tie your new wires to the old ones and pull them through. I've done this in several homes and it is quick and there is no damage to the walls.

if the boxes aren't metal, and you do have to run new wire, maybe just carefully chip a narrow channel in the drywall, so that you just have to retape and mud a small strip, might be the easiest way. or maybe behind a baseboard would work

yes, it can be done, but unless your are experienced at wiring and drywall finish work. forget doing it yourself. get someone with experience.

fish the wires out of the wall with a coathanger, like you would if you wereinstalling speakers in your house. usually you could tie the end of one wire with the other new wire and pull it through from outlet to fuze box. only problem i could see is if they attached the previous wire to the studs.