Jehovah's Witnesses: Is It True That You Place Punctuation In Your NWT To Support Your Own Teachings?

I read in an answer on Yahoo that you do. The example provided is Jesus' words to the thief on the cross next to him at Luke 23:43: "I say to you today you will be with me in paradise." The NWT puts the comma after "today" but other translations put it before the word today. The poster... show more I read in an answer on Yahoo that you do. The example provided is Jesus' words to the thief on the cross next to him at Luke 23:43: "I say to you today you will be with me in paradise." The NWT puts the comma after "today" but other translations put it before the word today. The poster says the more common use is to put it BEFORE the word today. He says this more common use is right and the Witnesses are wrong. Therefore, it is reasoned that Jehovah's Witnesses rearrange scriptures to change the meaning and support their peculiar teachings and this is but one example.

Since, as the poster rightly mentions, there was no punctuation in koine Greek (the reader or writer has to supply it), on what is the "more common" placement of the comma based? If Witnesses place the comma after the word today based on their own (allegedly erroneous) teachings, then on what do other Bible translations base their "common" placement of the comma BEFORE the word today? I mean, since there was no punctuation in the original, how do those who commonly place the comma know it is supposed to go BEFORE the word today?

Of course, since we are talking about scriptures, it would be beneficial to use scriptures in the answer. Therefore, all scriptures in your response and the expounding thereon is appreciated.
Update: God's Gift: regrettably, that does not answer the question. But thank you very much for your response.
Update 2:
Tomi C: Thank you very much for citing to the copyrighted material from the Reasoning book on page 286.
Update 3:
Thank you, Rangedog.
Update 4:
Thank you, CF, for your answer; your scriptures and your reasoning on them.
Update 5:
Thank you, Abernathy, as always. You said "Bible translation accuracy is not a democracy." How very true. Thanks also for the well-researched material. Most appreciated. And very responsive.
Update 6: Thank you bar_enos. How interesting that even the Apostles' Creed acknowledges that Jesus was not in paradise that day. Thank you, Elijah, for providing a scriptural response using other translations which render Luke similarly. Surely people do not accuse these translators of rendering the verse in such a way... show more Thank you bar_enos. How interesting that even the Apostles' Creed acknowledges that Jesus was not in paradise that day.

Thank you, Elijah, for providing a scriptural response using other translations which render Luke similarly. Surely people do not accuse these translators of rendering the verse in such a way as to support their teachings!
Update 7: Well, a careful consideration of all information provided (the Sahidic Coptic, the Apostles’ Creed, Emphasized Bible, lexicons and concordances, etc.), shows that, despite what some may claim, Jehovah’s Witnesses did not rearrange punctuation in this scripture to support their teaching that the thief next to... show more

Well, a careful consideration of all information provided (the Sahidic Coptic, the Apostles’ Creed, Emphasized Bible, lexicons and concordances, etc.), shows that, despite what some may claim, Jehovah’s Witnesses did not rearrange punctuation in this scripture to support their teaching that the thief next to Jesus did not go to paradise with Christ that day. More to the point, those who responded provided scriptures themselves which have been shown to be the basis upon which Jehovah’s Witnesses place the comma after the word today.
Update 8:

CF wrote: ‘The NWT considered the whole context of the Bible’ to translate Luke 23:43. Thank you, CF, for providing that context so we could look at the question scripturally. And thanks for your sound reasoning on the scriptures themselves.

8 answers 8