Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 decade ago

Is "ya know I be jackin it" a purely African American phrase?

I have a new African American girlfriend so I am trying to speak Black around her to let her know that I am cool with it.

When we go out and people ask how I am doing I always say, "ya know I be jackin it." I heard it off of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. I watch Fresh Prince and BET to try to pick up their speech and mannerisms. I'm 45 and this is my second girlfriend so I REALLY want to get it right!

Thanks for your help!

Mike

She was a blind date through the dating agency.

The first one was White but didn't care for the fact that she made more money that I make.

If this doesn't work out should I try a different agency?

Favorite Answer

im african american and i havent heard anyone say that. you should be yourself, and dont try and act "black" cause thats just not they way you been acting. be yourself around others cause you will get laughed at for trying to be black

• KitKat

You are such a moron. As a woman, I can tell you that if she wasn't "cool with it" and by that, I take it you want her to know that you are ok with her being black, she wouldn't be with you. I have a feeling that she won't be with you for much longer though. Apparently you have social issues and want to fit in somewhere and are thus trying too hard. You're 45 and this is only your 2nd girlfriend? I can see why. A 45 year old white guy talking like the Fresh Prince (which was in the 90's my friend) is like a 45 year old black guy talking like Rhett Butler.

• I hope you are joking around. This is pure stupidity for you to even suggest such a thing. I am Puerto Rican/Black and I have never heard that term. Your a disgrace to *older being wiser*. Why would you even think that doing such a thing would impress her? If anything, I would think it would make her break up with someone so ignorant. All we do when white ppl talk like that is laugh in their face because you look so ignorant. Trust me when I say that she is going out with you because of YOU, not because of the way you TALK. If you think you have a good thing, then be yourself and dont mess it up with assanine retorts.

Mike, you don't have to start talking like your black.That's not why you both were interested in each other.

She didn't give you a "culture test",when she starting dating.

Remember, the old song "Don't go changing,to try and please me"

Please,don't change on your lady.If she wanted to date only an African American man,she would'nt have started date you.

If you want to start off right,don't be a bad imitation of an African American man. Be the wonderful man,she IS with, who happens to be a WHITE man!

You must have other things ,that attracted her to you!

Here's one :

Keep It Real!

Grow up the Fresh Prince was in the 90s and I am an AA woman and have never heard the expression. Why not try being YOURSELF and not "faking the funk"...ever heard of that saying buddy ?

fo sho man, iss all good in da hood, ya heard? jus keep it poppin like a playa do and you be aiight! Best a luck to you n yo shorty!

Wow.

STOP!!!

Don't act like your 20

It aint cool.

Just be yourself! That is why shes dating you.

Source(s): Master Joker reppin tha CHI

Muh be. Me ain't nebber heard o' dat....Me be's white.

• don't talk black!!!! your not so why act like it. you will look like a retard!!! when i hear a white person talk bro....i just want to smack them till they talk white again