How to teach a Shiba Inu Bite Inhibition?

Hi, I have a new 11 week old shiba inu that we've had for 2 weeks. She is coming along nicely in most of her training but recently we have really developed a problem with biting! You see we got some bad training tips in the beginning and would just growl in a dominant fashion over her to prompt her into... show more Hi, I have a new 11 week old shiba inu that we've had for 2 weeks. She is coming along nicely in most of her training but recently we have really developed a problem with biting! You see we got some bad training tips in the beginning and would just growl in a dominant fashion over her to prompt her into submission. We were told that biting and mouthing was completely unacceptable because it was a dominance issue. It worked at first, however now that she's more comfortable with us it's taking more and more severe measures to get her to not bite and I don't like the idea of having my puppy be terrified of me and cringing when I approach. What I need are some tried and true methods to train bite inhibition that are effective but not harsh. Preferably from someone who has a Shiba Inu if possible as they can be a difficult and particularly willful breed. Her little puppy teeth hurt, and I while I don't want her afraid of me, I certainly don't want to be afraid to play with her! She recognizes me as a dominant in just about everything else, but if she senses fear in me of her that could change. I've worked too hard and love her too much for that! Help please!!
13 answers 13