Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Debate:Living alone vs. Living with others...?

There was a question on here today in which a woman said how much she would like a week of peace and quiet in her own home.I coud really relate,as a mom of 4...ages 8 (he is autistic),13,14,and 17.However,a couple of people who live alone say that they would prefer a noisy,bustling household.

Personally,I think this topic needs to be put under,'The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...'category.

I think those of you who live alone would probably go nuts in 2 hours of my house's chaos...and apprecate your quiet nest all the more.

What are your opinions?Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I don't think you can rate this one way or another. Living alone is both great and difficult. The same is true when you live with someone. When you live with someone, you often crave to be alone. Living alone can test you in so many ways, and deeply wanting meaningful company can become overwhelming.

• sophie

I live in a house with 4 other people (parents and siblings) and used to live alone 4 years ago. I couldn't afford it at the time and moved back home, but now that I can afford it I plan on moving out on my own at the end of this year.

I think a lot of it has to do with your personality. Some folk prefer company, some people prefer solitude. I'm the latter. As much as I enjoy being around people, I prefer to live on my own, and have only myself to answer to or look after.

That may sound selfish, but I hate relying on others and hate others having to rely on me (not including work). I'm not really a social animal I guess! I love peace and quiet and being on my own... Sometimes I do find it too quiet but then I just invite some folk around and it's fine.

Hope thats some help!

• I totally relate to what you are saying, however I grew up in a house FULL of people (myself, younger sister, mum & dad, and we ALWAYS had a few relatives stay with us).

I stayed at home when I went to University and I was a rich student so I loved it. However, i went crazy when one of my cousins came to live with us and I wanted to hurt him (he was lazy, ate but never contributed or cleaned up after himself, just a complete WASTEMAN). So i moved out cos i coudln't take it anymore, and bless my mum and dad they are too nice but I don't have patience for bulls**t, and I can talk when i want to.

I've lived by myself now for a year and a half and i'm absoluntely loving it. I could never move back home although I have considered it as i'm now a post-gard student ... but that's not the point!

I live alone, in a beautiful flat which i love, always clean, food in the fridge, no-one hogging my computer, or leaving mess, no relatives, it's great wouldn't change it for the world. Only downfall is I miss my Mum, Dad and Lil'sis but they're only 5 minutes drive so i'm blessed.

And yes, the grass is always greener on the other side ... lol.

Enjoy the madness x

Source(s): Me x

I would never want to live alone. I have done so and it was horrible. It felt like there was no real world and what i saw out of the window was just a cardboard cut out. At the time, i was living in a house with, for some reason, "DEATH IS NEAR" written on the wall outside the bathroom, which did not improve my mood. Now i live with my wife and two children and there are often loads of their friends round, and i much prefer it, even though we're all on top of each other and spend most of our time in the living room.

I've had two children so have done the noisy household bit.

I now live alone with a dog and cat. It is UTTER bliss! I can do what I like, when I like. Eat what I like, when I like. Watch whatever I like on TV or DVD. I can get up at whatever time I wake instead of having to get up early to cook breakfast for somebody else. In other words I can now be totally selfish and for the first time in my life, I am totally independent and I LOVE it. I would find it almost impossible to go back to sharing a home with anybody else.

I remember 18 years ago saying to my neighbour "I want to live alone" and now, for the last two and a half years, I have been able to do so. I have absolutely NO regrets on that score.

Hi Sunshine. Here I am answering another of your questions. From 1970-1997 I lived with a husband (now ex) and my two kids. The kids flew the nest long ago but live close by, with my 3 lovely granddaughters. I have lived alone for over 10 years and I love it. I have a partner but he lives 8 miles away and my paid work is managing a charity for vulnerable people and so I get plenty of company 37 hours each week. So... I prefer to live alone but to have people I care about close by.

I have lived alone for a few years.

You can do what you like !! Make a mess, live in a pig sty, but no one to tell you to clean it up or to do it for you.

Living alone or with someone; have its plus or negative points. On the whole I would prefer to live with someone.

The thing I find most difficult about living alone is coming home in the dark after a long tiring day. Going to a dark empty house with no one to discuss the day.

The grass is always greener!

I prefer a busy household, as long as its not all arguments but i think that it is really important for people to be able to escape it even if just for an hour and experience nothing but solitude and silence.

Maybe an "adult only" room, or maybe walking the dog, or maybe an early bedtime for the kids... anything.

I live with my husband and I'm happy. I could do living in a bigger house with a couple of our best friends but I don't think either of us could take the chaos kids bring, at least not know. I have both quiet and company which is the best of both

Dying Alone

• "G"

I live alone and I am very happy living alone. On the rare occasion I have one or more visitors, it makes me really antsy until they leave. When my mother stays for more than a week, I am really glad when she goes home. I love my family, but it's a relief not to have to live with them.

The grass is perfectly green just the way it is. I like peace and quiet.