Why don't we ride cows?

I know it sounds stupid but why does it sound stupid? why don't we ride cows? are they to week or something?

Favorite Answer

As I am an irrational person I can answer this question. Especially as I was already irrational enough as a kid to ride a cow occasionally. So I can tell you some reasons why. Cows are for one very stubborn. Much more stubborn than any horse I ever knew. In addition they don't have withers, their shoulders are slightly lower than their rear end, so you sit on a gentle downward slide without a convenient bump like the withers to help you to anchor you. Makes it more tricky and less comfortable. Also they cannot run as fast as horses.

It is definitely possible to ride a cow (after all there are all those bull riding competitions at rodeos), but it takes more effort than riding a horse and I think especially the effort you'd have to spend in training would be a lot larger. I am sure there are some cows which are better suited for riding than others, but generally they are not bred for it and that's noticeable.

But while I think never much used for riding, cows used to get used a lot for pulling carts and plows before somebody went and invented a car.

Cow Riding

People do ride cows. I know one girl who wasn't aloud to have a horse so she trained a cow to do it instead. There's nothing saying you can't ride cows but they can't do what horses do like coming on the bit, doing a dressage test, riding across a cross-country course or a show-jumping course.

My first thought is that it is a poor return on investment to try to ride a cow. They eat a great deal, have lots of gas while digesting and rechewing their cud, and are stupid and stubborn compared to horses, mules, or donkeys.

We should all get out more, and get to know all kinds of animals so I think this is a good question.

• 6 years agoReport

Awesome.. I want to ride a cow.. I would feel like a bad ***. And I agree cows are incredibly intelligent, we just try not to notice because we eat them. Pigs are the same way, they are even smarter than dogs.

• I think it is because we would start to have a relationship with them. We ride horses and grow to love them as pets and companions. It would be hard to eat your pet cow after it just gave you a ride to the slaughterhouse.

Because their spines protrude and make for an uncomfortable ride!

Hi my cow is used to me on its back but it will not move what do i do?

• Jade5 years agoReport

I'm also having the same problem maybe try feed when your oh his back to lead him

• ALM

in addition to what has already been said, i think that they would be uncomfortable. They are low to the ground and wide.

• Yes, they are uncomfortable without something to sit one because of their backs and it depends on the breed. But, it is a little bit like riding a horse but not exactly the same.

First, Awbbie, 'week' is spelled 'weak'. But in your case we'll give some appropriate leverage. 2. Are you a 'nerd'? 3. So, you want to a 'biologist', eh? 4. You just want to suck on the Udders, right? In which case, I think its the best choice for you. 5. I'll probably be the last rational person to answer this question.

GOOD BYE, COWBOY

1. They are too slow.

2. Riding them would require a large effort on their part, causing lactic acid to build up in their muscles, making their meat taste bad.