Three consecutive odd integers have a sum of -45. what are the integers?

i need help in finding the integers for this problem.

Best Answer

Hi Skittles,

Recall that you can take any integer x, and turn it into an even integer by multiplying it by 2. Thus, you can always make it odd, by multiplying it by 2, and then adding 1. Thus, 2x + 1 is always odd.

So, if you want three consecutive odd integers, you can select:

(1) 2x + 1

(2) 2x + 1 + 2 = 2x + 3

(3) 2x + 1 + 2 + 2 = 2x + 5

Now just add them together and set them equal to -45:

(2x + 1) + (2x + 3) + (2x + 5) = 6x + 9,

so 6x + 9 = -45. Now solve, to find that x = -9.

Now remember that x = -9 is not our answer, we have to use x to find the first consecutive odd: 2*-9 + 1 = -17. Our next two consecutive odds are then -15, and -13.

Check to see if these sum to -45? -17 + -15 + -13 = -45, check!

To help reinforce your understanding of these concepts, I've searched and found a webpage and a video tutorial that address problems similar to this one, and I thought they might be helpful to you. I've listed them below.

As always, if you need more help, please clarify where you are in the process and what's giving you trouble. I'd be more than happy to continue to assist.

If we've been helpful in answering your question, consider stopping by our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/protutorcompany.

The three consecutive odd integers with sum of -45 are:

-13, -15, -17

-13, -15, -17