I have to pay child support while having sole custody?

My ex got into meth, so I was awarded sole custody. They didn't order her to pay child support. The judge said it was bad enough losing her children, and with supervised visitation, making her pay would only make it harder on her. Well, she entered rehab, than after getting out, stayed in a women's... show more My ex got into meth, so I was awarded sole custody. They didn't order her to pay child support. The judge said it was bad enough losing her children, and with supervised visitation, making her pay would only make it harder on her. Well, she entered rehab, than after getting out, stayed in a women's shelter for a while. They provided her with legal counsel to file for unsupervised.

The judge gave it to her because she had completed rehab. But, because she wasn't working, I was ordered to pay child support so that she could get her own place. The shelter attorney called it a rebuttable argument that allows for a child support order outside the normal guidelines. As a result, I have to pay, even though I pay for everything for my kids. I've tried to appeal, even getting a different attorney, only to lose, while she gets free legal help. I asked the judge what if I refuse to pay? She said I could go to jail and lose custody of my kids. My attorney says it's common for fathers with custody to still have to pay child support whenever the mother makes less money. I guess it's the price we have to pay as men for working good paying juobs that women will not even apply for. I'm a miner.

Now there's no extras. No going to the movies, going to the fair, and certainly no extracurricular activities after school. I can't afford them. We would occasionally drive over to DC on weekends to wander, or see the Cherry Blossoms, but we'll never do that again. No money for gas.