Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 9 years ago

poll: Am i weird for not wanting the standard American dream?

Maybe it's just me, but i don't like the idea of the typical American life style.like it seems everyone wants to strive to get a 9-5 job in a corporate environment so they can a house in the suburbs with a picket fence a big screen tv and a swimming pool with a wife, 2 kids and a dog and just doesn't interest me, it just seems kind of hollow, unrealistic and it creates a false image of how the world is. I just don't like that type of stability it almost feels like you are trapped in a boring mundane existence. i guess i feel as if though all those material things just don't make me happy and what does make me happy are valuable experiences and the people i have them with.

i was doing some soul searching and i was thinking that i would love to travel maybe I'd go to live in various countries for a while and get a feel for how the world really is maybe move when things start to get stale. maybe even join the peace corps and do some good. i was also thinking that maybe I'd like to join a commune for a while, learn some useful skills and take in that sense of community that seems to have disappeared in this age when we can get everything online. so i guess i really only want 2 things in life a lifestyle that is out of the ordinary and adventurous and someone special to share it with.

wow i just read this over and i sound like a total hippie.

would you say my dreams are juvenile and unrealistic or is it admirable

• Favorite Answer

Follow your heart.

You control your life, don't let anyone change that.

I'd say that your dreams sound kind of familiar.

lol, I had a bit of a fight with my mom earlier today because I'm going to Thailand to volunteer at an orphanage and teach english. She's upset because I don't have a plan for the future. She thinks I'm crazy because I'm volunteering by myself.She thinks I'm crazy cause I'm not interested in making a family. She think I'm crazy because I don't want a boyfriend. "You're going to get raped. Women who travel alone get raped and murdered and are never seen again. I'll show you the newspaper articles." "Do you WANT to end up alone? what's wrong with having a boyfriend?" "Don't you want any children?"

I want to go to thailand. I want to learn about people and hear their stories and write and make my own stories and travel some more. I don't know what I'm going to want in the future. I think that people should find out what they're best at naturally, do it and see what happens next.

So I'd say that your dreams are admirable and completely realistic. And don't let anybody tell you any different.

lol. Good luck =P

I would say your dreams are admirable.

People are so attached to material things now a days, that no one really stops to look at all the beauty that surrounds us. I always wanted to travel, I live in Ontario, and I was born in England. Other than those two places, I haven't really been anywhere else. I always had a dream of traveling around the world. But then Again I've always wanted a family, and a pet. Ha ha, I guess I'm in the middle here.

Anyways your dream sounds great and you should really follow it.

No, your dreams are not juvenile, nor unrealistic. Though you must ask yourself, 'What is my purpose in life?'. Honestly, this is where almost everyone gets a hollow feeling. They wake up every morning, go through the same tired routine, and for what? Just to repeat it over again the very next day? Here some links for you: http://dontwasteyourlife.com/ ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh1wmPQA0QA

Youtube thumbnail

. If you have a pastor or a spiritual leader of sorts, I would encourage you to talk to them about this also. I wish you luck!

God Bless!

Some hippie ideas were good but others went against human nature! I have been working since I was thirteen and would still but a young manager decide he wanted to go with a younger crew, he under forty and I am sixty-eight.

You and I have much the same ideas and goals. They're not at all unrealistic. Juvenile? May be because by the time people reach adulthood the media has sucked their spirit dry. Juvenile, hopeful, truthful, wonderful. Yes.

Every body's dreams are different, what may seem unrealistic to me may not seem so to you. My advice to you would be to follow your heart, because if you get stuck in the wrong all American dream, you will regret it. That regret will keep you from being happy.

Don't let the mainstream media influence you. Find out what benefits you the most.

No not everyone wants the same thing

You're not weird. Unless I am too.