Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is Yahoo Answers Vicious Or What?

I (out of personal experience) have noticed how much more hostile some people are on Yahoo Answers than other websites. I went on to MetaFilter (for those of you who don't know, it is another question-answering site) and 43 Things, and they were so much gentler with very low hostility. For example, on MetaFilter, somebody asked the very some question I asked on here, and while I got a majority of unhelpful and flaming answers, all the answers there were at least in some way helpful. And, if a person was trying to disagree with the asker, they calmly explained their reasoning and did not flame the person with answers. I still like Yahoo, but it's just something I've noticed, when compared to other sites.

Favorite Answer

i asked people if i was pretty and at least 3/4 of the answers said things like 'pretty as a bulldog" or "you need some style tips....like alot" I asked this question on meta filter using the same picture and almost every answer was kind or at least hanest (you aren't that pretty, but if u got a haircut, i think yo'd look a lot better)

The hostile unhelpful answers bother me too but that's why there is the little thumbs down thing.

I have not noticed really a lot of not so nice answers. You have to assume there are people out there who will do that but even with as many people who come here, I don't think it's really that bad.

Frankly, many of the questions deserve the ridicule and viciousness of the answers. Between the questions better asked of an agency, seeking easy homework help, designed to troll, or just plain inane it's difficult to find something worthy of a sensible answer. Then there are the statements with a question mark at the end, and the questions that mutilate the language so badly you have no clue what the meaning could be. Finally, there are the questions that are just so stupid that one can only shake one's head in disbelief.

Perhaps the age groups and types of people, (like everywhere) are just different.

I believe, other than the small group of hostile answers, generally everyone is trying to help solve a problem, situation, or just plainly give an honest answer.

Its because people from all over the world ue this site, then they get their get there answers deleted if they dont match the American Way!

These people are lashing back against the Cultural homogenization this site is performing!

Everyone thinks they learn from this site is really being dictated to, if it doesn't match US veiws it is deleted even if it exists in fact.

A good reason to be pissed off.

I've noticed this too. Maybe it's just because there are more people on Yahoo. Just about everyone on the 'net knows about Yahoo.

Some people around here can get pretty vicious

Perhaps, it may be the wider participation that causes some abrasive answers!

• 10-T3

IF I WERE YOU , I WOULD STAY WITH METAFILTER.