Jehovah's Witnesses, why do you not celebrate Thanksgiving...giving is better than receiving?

So I hear that JW do not celebrate Thanksgiving and has made me curious because it has no religious ties and everyone is eating food...if you do not know...please do not TROLL

Update:

@ erica - I said no trolling.

Update 2:

@ quicentella3 - it looks like you copied and pasted. I was wanting a personal answer from someone who personally experiences the non celebration. Put your own words into the matter and do not copy and paste. I read your paragraph but got lost on parts of it. I wonder if you even understand what you pasted.

Update 3:

@ apostle paul - show me scriptures from your bible backing up your "opinion".

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

Greetings,

Jehovah's Witnesses celebrate the one event that Jesus commanded his followers. The memorial of his death (1Cor.11:23- 26). We also celebrate other events which are referred to favorably in the Scriptures such as marriage anniversaries.

Most other holidays are corruptions of Christianity and were adopted from terribly pagan customs and celebrations. Witnesses take their worship very seriously and insist upon keeping their worship of God undefiled (Js.1:27). We do not want to offend God by imitating these celebrations which incorporate so much falsehood and are associated with the most horrible beliefs from the past.

While "Thanksgiving" day is not like Easter, Christmas or Halloween which are adopted directly from terribly pagan celebrations it is still a corruption of True Christianity. Thanksgiving day is a national holiday set up by the government.

Do true Christians need to set one day aside for thanksgiving? Should the political governments tell us what day we should give thanks?

Witnesses give thanks EVERY day and allow no one to tell them on which day they can thank God.

And of course, the story book accounts of Indians sitting down with Pilgrims you learned in school are mostly myth. In fact, these happy little myths are at the very least a cover for the truth of genocide and enslavement of millions of American Indians by the Europeans. At most they are an outright lie.

According to one source the first 100 "thanksgiving" celebrations were in fact thanksgiving for the slaughter of 700 Pequot. "Thanksgiving Day was first officially proclaimed by the Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1637 to commemorate the massacre of 700 men, women and children who were celebrating their annual green corn dance."-- W.B.Newell former chairman of the anthropology dept. at the U. of Conn.

Is this really something a True Christian would want to commemorate?

Though there evidently was a harvest celebration in 1621 with Indians, this was not repeated as far as any records show. "The day we now celebrate was largely the result of the efforts of magazine editor Sarah Josepha Hale. After the divisive Civil war Mrs. Hale prompted Abraham Lincoln to issue a proclamation in 1863 setting aside the last Thursday in November as a National Thanksgiving Day to facilitate national healing.

"First-century Christianity had no temples, built no altars, used no crucifixes, and sponsored no garbed and betitled ecclesiastics. Early Christians celebrated no state holidays..."—The Rise of Christianity, by E. Barnes, 1947, p. 333.

Yours,

BAR-ANERGES

• Thanksgiving actually has some strong similarities to the biblical Feast of Tabernacles. Both were celebrated in the autumn in the northern hemisphere, and both were a time for giving thanks to God for the blessings of the harvest season. There's no reason not to celebrate it.

• jodie
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Do Jehovah Witnesses Celebrate Thanksgiving

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Jehovah's Witnesses, why do you not celebrate Thanksgiving...giving is better than receiving?

So I hear that JW do not celebrate Thanksgiving and has made me curious because it has no religious ties and everyone is eating food...if you do not know...please do not TROLL

Source(s): jehovah 39 witnesses celebrate thanksgiving giving receiving: https://shortly.im/17tP7
  • 8 years ago

You're right there is more happiness in giving than receiving (acts 20:35) The Bible doesn't say anything against family time and dinner, as long as gluttony and drunkenness isn't involved. We just studied an excellent wt this past Sunday and included some scriptures from romans chap 14, you should read that chapter when you get a chance.

Although giving thanx as a nation was done annually before Lincoln, (pilgrims and farmers were grateful 4 prosperous agricultural seasons) it was that president who decided 2 make it a national holiday on October 3, 1963. As witnesses, we strive 2 not participate in certain activities that we feel might offend God. This 'religious' holiday was founded politically, is there something wrong with celebrating it?

2 corinthians 6:14, 15 says not 2 be unevenly yoked or mixed with nonbelievers. sharing in a holiday that all kinds of religious ppl including nonbelievers (athiests) celebrate 2 me would be going against that Bible admonition. The primitive Christians (from the 1st century bible book of acts and onward) didn't unevenly yoke themselves 2gether with atheists and idolaters 2 celebrate national roman holidays. Even the jewish celebrations that they used 2 celebrate because at one time they were accepted by God, they avoided as well. When some of the Christians started celebrating certain days and seasons the apostle paul wrote ' he feared 4 them that somehow he had toiled 2 no purpose respecting them'. The apostle paul worried that his hard work sharing with them liberating christian truths was in vain since some of them desired 2 share in religious observances that God hadn't authorized. Today there are some Christians who try 2 follow the great example of the faithful Christians of the 1st century, or greek scriptures and abstain from holidays with national religious observances. As witnesses we desire 2 always be united in faith and Bible belief with our fellow brothers not just in the US but in all countries around the world (ephesians 4:4-6)

it's different but like romans chap 14 brings out, we shouldn't judge others or do anything 2 make them stumble. I won't judge you 4 your celebrations and i hope you don't judge me 4 my decision 2 abstain from them. activites that are non religious, pagan, or offensive 2 God and contribute 2 peace and mutual builiding up is what i'll try 2 do and talk about with everyone no matter what religion they are.

hope this helps :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • AliM
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Holidays do not have anything to do with serving Jehovah God. The Bible says, "Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine."-1 Thessalonians 5:21. We make sure we avoid religious holidays or holidays that doesn't pertain religion. It violates God's laws. Take Jesus Christ for an example. In the Bible, it doesn't speak of Jesus celebrating holidays. He never once partaken of anything religious. As Jehovah Witnesses, we follow in Christ footsteps imitating him.

Jesus said, "They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world."-John 17:16. Also the apostle John emphasized the need to avoid any practices that reflect the spirit of the ungodly world.

"Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16 because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. 17 Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever."-1 John 2:15-17. These verses state that we shouldn't be loving the world nor the thongs in the world. The world does not originate with the Father, Jehovah God.

If you think about it. When some people go to holiday parties something bad always seems to happens. Some might get drunk, there may be fights that goes on, adultery, fornication, and so on and so forth. Those things do not originate with Christ teachings. Nor do they glorify God. Things like that are not acceptable. When some people have holiday parties they look at it as drawing the family closer. As for Jehovah Witnesses we do not wait until the holidays to draw our family and friends closer because 1). We do not celebrate the holidays and 2). We have events year around like gatherings or parties where we associate with one another. We do not wait once or 3 times out the year to get together. We get together all the time enjoying one another company.

Hope this helps!!!!

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

By 1637, Massachusetts governor John Winthrop ordered the massacre of thousands of Pequot Indian men, women and children. This event marked the start of the Native American genocide which would take a bit more than 200 years to complete, and of course to achieve its ultimate goal which was to take the land from Native Americans and to systematically plunder their resources. The genocide,started in 1637, marks the beginning of the conquest of the entire continent until Native Americans had been either exterminated for most, assimilated into white society for very few, or put in reservations to dwindle and die.

This is from history, not from Jehovah's Witnesses. This is the reason why Jehovah's Witnesses have no part in celebrating a genocide.

Source(s): Google "Thanksgiving Genocide".
    • Yet you celebrate the anniversary of the date Jesus was murdered.

No hypocrisy there eh?

• 8 years ago

Jehovah' s Witnesses celebrate life. Why else would they be out there in whatever weather teaching & making disciples of Christ Jesus?

They give Thanks everyday.

** Redvip below like many others takes offense for the Witnesses not going along with the traditions of men, since he brought up the nation of Israel celebrating certain holidays, there is NOTHING in scripture to suggest that God approved of his people celebrating to baal either even though the nations round about felt he produced a bounty of crops.

What next red- you going to say the Witnesses should chime in on halloween as well?

Your argument can't work its way out of a wet paperbag.

• Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/M8nIF

First because Joseph Rutherford a narcissistic, power hungry, prolific religious writer, and first iron fisted president of the Watchtower Society wanted it so. He wanted no one to think of themselves as important or even worthy of recognition. Only the organization and the work were to be celebrated. There is every reason in the world to be believe that the Hebrews of old paid very close attention to birthdays. The story of Jacob and Esau a perfect of example of how important date of birth was. Simply read the first 5 or so books of the Bible to learn just how much attention they paid to birthdays. God even requiring them to pull out all the 30-50yr olds to form armies. Blessing of Jacob sons were administered by birthdays. Jw's stand on Birthdays simply has no clear biblical injunction...just the silly whims of a cult leader long gone and buried.

• 8 years ago

We give to people all the time. We don't observe these holidays because Jesus told his followers to be no part of the world. John 17:16. That involves celebrating worldly holidays. Our beliefs are based on the bible. many of the holidays observed come from pagans. People who didnt even believe in Christ. They weren't christians. So why celebrate there holidays. You can eat with your family any day. You dont have to do it on thanksgiving only.

• 8 years ago

We observe the annual anniversary of the memorial of Jesus Christ's death which is far more worthy as we have the opportunity to have a relationship with Jehovah God on the basis of Christ's sacrifice of his life on earth. This is not a national event but an global international observance on the Jewish calendar date of Nisan 14.

Thanksgiving is a national celebration of countries including USA and Canada that did have religious ties. In the USA for example it originated to thank God for a good harvest in a three day celebration on December 13th 1621. Later in 1789 George Washington made Thanksgiving a national observance. So already political state and religion was merging with Thanksgiving.

Jehovah's Witnesses do not mix politics with our Christian faith and separate ourselves from worldly influences in our worship and services to Jehovah. Just as in other countries we do not involve ourselves with other types of national celebrations but keep strictly to what Jehovah requires from us to serve him faithfully.

Jehovah's Witnesses are not divided by national borders/politics/traditions and religions. We are a global spiritual family that are unified in one faith and one leader, Christ Jesus. Our allegiance is to God's kingdom rather than human ruled governments. Since all human governments and it's traditions such as Thanksgiving will cease when God's kingdom rule will take over all human rulership on earth (Daniel 2:44) then it has no spiritual benefit to us to support the things of this world that will cease.

Hope you understand better now.

Thanks.

(John 17:16) . . .They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.

(2 Corinthians 6:17) “‘Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take YOU in.’”

(1 John 2:15-16) Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16 because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world.

(1 John 2:17) Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.

• 8 years ago

thanksgiving is a political holiday- 1. we try to apply what Jesus said about being no part of the world, i.e not doing things that would make us blend in nor do we show patriotism for one country or another because our world wide brother hood's alliegance is to God, and not the nation however we do show respect for the country we live in.

2. we eat food on what is considered thanksgiving we dont fast... but the the truth of the matter is and now this is just my personal opinion thanksgiving is based on a lie and a crime spaniards and englismen came over and removed people from there land and killed them off almost in the fashion that hitler killed people of, long death marches, starvation and allowing discease to run rampant. i cant personally celebrate that. im one who looks at the origin before i follow, but it doesnt take away that my beliefs are what drive me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.