?
? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

Need some help with research for a story that I'm writing?

I need help with some research for a story that I'm writing. I've tried doing a google search but I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. So hopefully someone here can lead me in the right direction.

I have this male character in my story and I'm thinking I might kill off his character in the end. At first I was thinking that maybe he has some kind of heart defect but then I started thinking that maybe his injury will stem from an accident from a few days before he dies or his death could be from a heart defect and maybe somehow the accident played a part as well.

So this leads me to my first question. I remember reading somewhere or hearing something about there being some kind of heart defect/malfunction where if that person has that defect/malfunction if they get hit in the chest close to the heart they could die. So is there there a heart defect/malfunction like that and if so what is it called?

My second question is if I decide that this character doesn't have a heart defect/malfunction then would it be possilbe for someone to get hit hard in the chest from a car accident and appear fine and healthy and few days later die from that injury without even realizing he had that injury in the first place?

At this point I'm just trying to decide if this character will have a heart defect, an injury from a car accident, or both.

Best Answer

I believe you can die from a simple skipped-beat. Not too long ago there was an incident where a young baseball player was struck in the chest by a ball. His heart skipped a beat and he ended up dying the very next day(poor little guy). There are many different names for this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200805...

There's a similar malfunction with the brain as well, if you're interested. There was an infomercial guy—I think his name was Billy—who was accidentally struck in the head with a bag of carry-on luggage. Hours later, or perhaps a day later, he passed from the head trauma. However! Later autopsy reports dispute this, but it is still a possibility.

The answer to your second question would be disputable. He may or may not feel "abnormal". It would depend. I personally feel he would have noticeable symptoms, like nausea and trouble breathing. It would make the outcome more believable if you hinted he had a symptom here and there. However, I doubt he could suffer trauma to the heart and go on for more than one day without noticing. As we've seen in prior cases, the person is normally dead within the next 24 hours if having had no medical care. Two or more days with heart trauma and no symptoms is a stretch outside of Realism.

Well, I hope I helped you in some way. Have fun writing!

~~ ††AnkhesenKheper††

I don't know what impact kind of injury would cause a heart attack several days later, but I do know that an seemingly trivial infection has been known to cause an infection in the heart which can be fatal and pretty quick. It would be more common for a head injury to not show outward symptoms beyond a headache and then kill someone a few days later. This happened to someone I know who fell off a horse and had an undiagnosed concussion. If I were you, I would go to the Mayo clinic site to find more specific information. Good luck.

I've heard of this before but can not remember the word for it.

You could make a story surrounding a bad car accident where the steering wheel of the car in the accident was pushed onto the chest of the driver and he lived for a couple of days and then died. Sounds boring, huh but I've seen a car where the motor was driven onto the legs of the passenger and driver in an accident between a car and a pick up truck.

Stupid story eh ??.

A few years ago a child in my town got run over in a parking lot. She was treated at the hospital, then released after a few days, expected to make a full recovery (no broken bones or permanent head damage). Sadly they didn't realize that there had been serious heart damage from the trauma (car ran over her chest) and she died unexpectedly at home two weeks later.

Granted, very young children are affected by this kind of trauma differently than adults since their bodies aren't fully developed, but just so you know its possible...

If someone is overweight, they are much more likely to have a cardiac arrest (different from a heart attack), and will certainly have problems breathing if they're hit in the chest.

Question two, I don't think there is one. And if someone was hit by a car, I'm not sure that they're going to fine and healthy!

Source(s): My mum's a cardiac nurse and I'm a soon-to-be medical student

Well that sounds good and yes I've heard of it and can't quite name it! As far as the whole appearing fine and then dying, anything's possible and that is probably a likely consequence. Also, it could be that his heart was too big for his chest due to a transplant her received years ago and the hard blow proceeded to hurt his heart and therefore kill him. Hope this helped ya!

The only thing i can think of that can make someone die days later from a car accident is internal bleeding... but he wouldn't really look "fine" until then. but you could look it up...

arrhythmia or heart murmur? i don't know if either of those are more likely to kill you if you get hit in the chest...

or cardiac arrest. i had a friend who died of cardiac arrest the day after a car accident. :(

You could try watching a show called 'Bones' or even 'CSI' people die in so many strange ways on there - it helps me think of ways to kill people off!

you see your heart is a part of your left arm. so maybe in a car accident he gets his left arm injured very bad. and then it gets to his heart then he dies.

hope i helped.

and good luck on the book.